• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seraphine

Is Android the poor man's choice?

34 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I was recently reading an article about the Android phones in general.  I was reading Android seem to be the poor man's choice, how true do you think that is?  According to this map: 

newark iphone android maps

Those red dots represent iPhone use, look how many people use those in Manhattan and not in Newark. 

Now look at the difference (android use):

android apple maps 2 newark nyc

According this this it seems the poor tweet via Android, while the rick tweet via  iPhone. How accurate you think this is?  I'm an Android user and have been for a while, I had no idea this trend. The iPhone usage in Manhattan is stronger than in Newark, but it seems the divide doesn't stop there, because the Android usage is also strong withing Manhattan... in the poorest neighborhoods, of course. While in the richer ones there seems to be more iPhone users. 

If you want read more, then check this out: http://www.businessinsider.com/android-is-for-poor-people-maps-2014-4

So, what do you guys think?  Do you think this is an accurate portrayal of the iPhone and Android users? 

I have never heard anything like this lately and by the way if a product is more affordable than other one this doesn't make it a product purchased only by poor people but maybe a product purchased by people with a brain that doesn't pay 300-400$ for an Apple behind their smartphone.

My android tablet caused me only 75 bucks and that is brand new. My iPad caused me around 400 bucks. We can say an Android is a poor man's phone/tablet but it is not as bad as people who uses Apple as social status thinks.  The only edge of Apple for me would be battery life.  I did see a hobo who is using  a waiting shed WiFi to surf the internet with an Android. 

I can't declare which of my 2 tablets is more durable because both of them are had a visit with Mr. Repair man.  I use my Android more because its much more thinner and lighter. My iPad is kind of heavy because its an older model.

I wouldn't say that all poorer people resort to android devices: many people actually prefer android devices to iphones, and I know well off people who use Android devices. But, I think that Android devices are definitely a more affordable option when compared with iPhones, and they do the same thing. Which OS is better is a matter of opinion. In the same breath, I don't think that only rich people buy  iPhones. I know people who can't really afford iPhones but buy them anyway because they'd rather pay for the iPhone than use an Android device. I think the trend overall is that 'poorer' people are more likely to resort to android phones, but I can't really completely generalise. 

I think that term poor man's choice is just a term and has no basis at all. Being popular to the masses does not equate to being the poor man's choice. I use an Android phone but I can say I am not poor, right? And if I want to be classy, I would buy an iPhone. Is that it? No. The poor man can buy a Windows Phone or even an iPhone depending on his whims. And a rich man (like me, waheehee) can buy an Android if that would satisfy him.

It's just like the PC versus the Mac. Most celebrities here and rich people too would buy a Mac book instead of a laptop simply because it has class and cannot be afforded by the masses. But the function they need can be amply provided by the laptop. That's what I call caprice.

Android has taken over 80+% of the market. It's data cannot be compared to a 10% market share which iphone's have. That is foolish and messes the data up. 

Well, I wouldn't really say that it's the poor man's choice. I can say that I can afford buying myself an iPhone, but since I find iPhones pretty complicated to use, I would just pick an android phone instead because for me, it's much easier to navigate. There could be a lot of reasons why the general public prefer android phones over iPhones, and yes, another reason is its cheap price, but I don't think it's fair to label it as the poor man's choice.

I think that term poor man's choice is just a term and has no basis at all. Being popular to the masses does not equate to being the poor man's choice. I use an Android phone but I can say I am not poor, right? And if I want to be classy, I would buy an iPhone. Is that it? No. The poor man can buy a Windows Phone or even an iPhone depending on his whims. And a rich man (like me, waheehee) can buy an Android if that would satisfy him.

It's just like the PC versus the Mac. Most celebrities here and rich people too would buy a Mac book instead of a laptop simply because it has class and cannot be afforded by the masses. But the function they need can be amply provided by the laptop. That's what I call caprice.

I use Android too, mostly because of its simplicity, hence I was a bit shocked to hear Android is known as the poor man's choice, lol.  But I have noticed most people use an iPhone as a sign of status. I know a guy who owns an iPhone and a Mac, he is indeed rich, his dad owns a building company, etc.  A very pampered kid :P  Then I read this and thought, this make make sense O.o

Well, I wouldn't really say that it's the poor man's choice. I can say that I can afford buying myself an iPhone, but since I find iPhones pretty complicated to use, I would just pick an android phone instead because for me, it's much easier to navigate. There could be a lot of reasons why the general public prefer android phones over iPhones, and yes, another reason is its cheap price, but I don't think it's fair to label it as the poor man's choice.

I think many people can afford one nowadays, but many don't choose to because iPhone is indeed hard to use.  My friend had to jailbreak his and do only god knows what else to it. I can tell you for sure I'll never be getting an iPhone, Android is waaaay more easier to use :)  My only complaint is battery life, but I am use to it :P 

Trying to label android as a poor man's choice is kinda offensive. The fact is that android is widely considered by most to be better than iOS. The fact that people keep trying to down play it even though it has a firm hold on the market is kinda laughable.

I have an officemate who is kind of a social climber. She Survived 6 months of a steamed sweet potato  and plantain diet so she will be able to afford to buy an IPhone and an IPad. Sweet potatoes and Plantains are kind of cheap in my area.  The whole office endured a lot of gas because of her desperation for expensive gadgets.

Yeah I know it is very crazy that she did something like that for the sake of social status. In my case a single salary is enough for me to buy an Android Phone. There are also more expensive Android Phones and tablets that can be comparable to Apple products. My brother in law have a Samsung Android Tablet and its more expensive than a laptop. 

I do have an IPad but I don't bring it with me. Apple products are snatcher and robber magnets. 

I use Android too, mostly because of its simplicity, hence I was a bit shocked to hear Android is known as the poor man's choice, lol.  But I have noticed most people use an iPhone as a sign of status. I know a guy who owns an iPhone and a Mac, he is indeed rich, his dad owns a building company, etc.  A very pampered kid :P  Then I read this and thought, this make make sense O.o

I think many people can afford one nowadays, but many don't choose to because iPhone is indeed hard to use.  My friend had to jailbreak his and do only god knows what else to it. I can tell you for sure I'll never be getting an iPhone, Android is waaaay more easier to use :)  My only complaint is battery life, but I am use to it :P 

Now this reminds me of a recent reunion of my former colleagues. I was surprised to see our former janitor with an iPhone in hand. Well, that's a status symbol. But that doesn't bolster the meaning of the term poor man's phone for the android. But anyway, this thread simply means that the phone is a very important part of our lives now so we have to live with it whether Android, iOS or Windowsphone.

Android is a Man's Choice. That's what it is. Choice. Because that's what you get if you buy an Android device, you have the freedom to choose. You're not locked in to what is given to you. You have freedom and customization. 2 persons can have the same exact Android phone model but both could have a different look and feel to it because of the customization done by the users to make the brick more "Personal". Android is the best choice for me and I've handled a lot of iOS devices already because of my work.  Android is choice. 

I don't think I've heard as much bullshit in all my life to be honest. While I get that Apple is more of a brand choice and a fashion accessory, I wouldn't say that automatically makes an android user a second class individual. I never realised that what smartphone platform I used said so much about me, and in future if somebody asks, I'll have to be careful how I answer. After all, I don't want someone to look down at me because I've not got a gold iPhone...

Now this reminds me of a recent reunion of my former colleagues. I was surprised to see our former janitor with an iPhone in hand. Well, that's a status symbol. But that doesn't bolster the meaning of the term poor man's phone for the android. But anyway, this thread simply means that the phone is a very important part of our lives now so we have to live with it whether Android, iOS or Windowsphone.

Hahaha, yeah, exactly :P   One of my friends (who is not rich at all, by the way)  bought his iPhone when he was working abroad.  I have no idea why he chose the iPhone to be honest, Android is much better: easier to use.  And yes, it's cheaper, I think that is why a lot people owns one now, but some people I know do buy an iPhone because of its status symbolism.  I think that is a waste of money to be honest :P  If I ever want to impress someone... that must be myself, hehehe!

I don't think I've heard as much bullshit in all my life to be honest. While I get that Apple is more of a brand choice and a fashion accessory, I wouldn't say that automatically makes an android user a second class individual. I never realised that what smartphone platform I used said so much about me, and in future if somebody asks, I'll have to be careful how I answer. After all, I don't want someone to look down at me because I've not got a gold iPhone...

No one is saying that :o  LOL, this is just an article showing there is a clear tendency towards Android use in ''poorer'' areas.  It doesn't mean the individual is a second class one.  Plus I know people who don't care about status symbols, they own an android and don't think anything about it.  I'm myself the kind of person who doesn't care about status symbols at all.  I've said it before and I say it now: I'll never switch to iPhone. 

Android has taken over 80+% of the market. It's data cannot be compared to a 10% market share which iphone's have. That is foolish and messes the data up. 

Please look up and cite references before spouting numbers like that. 

At any rate. The comparison is ridiculous. The only reason an Android  device would be a poor mans choice is because android is open and it is used on a multitude of phones for many different manufacturers. Any iPhone to Android comparison will always be bunk because people are comparing an operating system that runs on a multitude of devices to a  a single manufacturer's phone. There are plenty of wealthy people with the equally expensive Galaxy S6 out there. There are more people in lower income brackets then there are wealthy people and devices with Android are available at all price ranges. A real comparison would be for a Galaxy S6 or S5 to iPhone. 

I'm guessing it's somewhat true, but it's still not the poor person's choice. First because they're still expensive in my opinion. And second, not everyone likes iPhones. I don't like them so even if I had a ton of money I wouldn't get one.

It's not even somewhat true, to be honest. Like you say, phones that use the Android OS aren't cheap, have you tried buying a SIM free version of a Samsung galaxy S6 EDGE? Any poor man that can afford to buy one of them is richer than me, so I don't know what that makes me!

This sound's more like a story made by Apple or an Apple customer, they often try and justify why they buy Apple devices without having any real argument to back themselves up.

I think Android phones got wider reach from rich to poor.  It got right models that fits the pocket of each and everybody.  There are too many mobile brands that use Android as an operating system and hence there is a wider choice.  iOS on the other hand is limited to only Apple.  If Android phones can be described as a poor man's choice then majority of the world's population is poor.

I agree, I have seen some android based devices that are really expensive and there is no way anyone can just get one of those.  So in my opinion this article went a bit far was using that bold statement... They could have used something between the lines of: ''iPhone use is seen more often in affluent areas when compared to Android'', I think something between those lines wouldn't have caused so much polemic. 

I personally dislike iPhone, and what it represents. Because most people I've met who own one seem to see it as a status symbol and that annoys me to no end. It's like they always want to remind you they got an iPhone.  I say: ''Well good for you, you have bought a really expensive phone you can't do much with unless you jail break it...'' 

Apple users don't help themselves and its no wonder that people have the impression that all Apple users are stuck up and are only interested in material things, because, well, that's how they actually come across in real life most of the time.

Ask a lot of them why they chose iOS over Android and they'll give you a blank expression because they don't actually know the difference in the first place.

Ask a lot of them why they chose iOS over Android and they'll give you a blank expression because they don't actually know the difference in the first place.

That is really happening. I have seen people using iPhones very rarely.  The one who use them is not fully aware of its features and use.  It's only a status symbol for them. And Apple has taken good advantage of this situation.  They made their presence visible in a royal way and people became prey to their marketing tactics.  

As you said earlier their marketing team is wonderful with a lot of creativity. Their marketing and sales team did a a commendable job indeed. But the fact remains that  there is nothing worthwhile in the device.  

I honestly think that your data may be slightly skewed by the fact that people who live in Manhattan are probably more likely to be trend followers. I wouldn't know for sure though. That said, as someone who sold phones, the people who were tech savvy were overwhelmingly Android, while the people who were in to trends went with iOS. There is also the fact that lots of cheaper prepaid phones are Android now.

I honestly think that your data may be slightly skewed by the fact that people who live in Manhattan are probably more likely to be trend followers. I wouldn't know for sure though. That said, as someone who sold phones, the people who were tech savvy were overwhelmingly Android, while the people who were in to trends went with iOS. There is also the fact that lots of cheaper prepaid phones are Android now.

My data? Do I have to remind everyone that it was NOT me the one who wrote this article?  Yep, that is right I didn't write this article, so no it's not my data and yes, I think people in Manhattan tend to be trend followers as well, specially those located in that area... which also happens to be an affluent area. 

Well, technically, it is considered a "poor man's phone" but it's just because of the price, and it's just a joke. Not all people who buy Android phones are poor, like the Samsung S6 are quite expensive as well.If I were to buy an iPhone, it would have to be a 2nd hand one so that it won't be so expensive!

Well, technically, it is considered a "poor man's phone" but it's just because of the price, and it's just a joke. Not all people who buy Android phones are poor, like the Samsung S6 are quite expensive as well.If I were to buy an iPhone, it would have to be a 2nd hand one so that it won't be so expensive!

By who? Be people that don't know that there isn't an "Android phone"? Seriously. The Samsung Galaxy S7 slated for February is supposed to have a price tag of $999. There are plenty of smartphones that both run Android and out-price the iPhone.

She linked an article... She didn't come up with the data and she has already pointed out that it may be off.