• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
W Scribe

windows
The launch of Windows 10 and it's Features

136 posts in this topic

Where did Windows 10 come from? I myself am still using Windows 8 but have never heard of a 9. Maybe I didn't get the memo on the rule of version jumping but this has gone on for some time. The Versions went from "3" to names ranging from Me to Vista all of a sudden. I saw In an article that by count Windows 10 would actually be 6.4 so it leaves a question. Was all of this a publicity stunt to keep us feeling we're further ahead than we really are? Maybe someone out there has a simple explanation for the version jumps.

People at Microsoft can't count! I'm just kidding. As you very well, Microsoft has not come out with any other reason other than Windows 10 is so significant that they decided to skip one number. Personally, as owners, Microsoft can do whatever they please. They can name it Windows Buttface and we'll have to live with it.

According to some reports, the reason its called Windows 10 is because 20 years ago third party coders used "Windows 9" instead of Windows 95 or Windows 98 to check the version of Windows. Maybe they thought Windows would not survive that long back then..

Microsoft may have skipped Windows 9 because the number 9 is actually considered unlucky in Japan. Microsoft has a large enough presence in Japan to the point where they would not want to upset anyone there by naming their system Windows 9. In addition, another company in Japan named Trend Micro did the same thing by skipping version 9 of it's anti-virus software. Of course, this is just a theory. But in reality, Microsoft can name it whatever they want, and people would still probably get it. 

So many possibilities as to why it was skipped. I never considered superstition to be a reason but I truly could be.

Microsoft may have skipped Windows 9 because the number 9 is actually considered unlucky in Japan. Microsoft has a large enough presence in Japan to the point where they would not want to upset anyone there by naming their system Windows 9. In addition, another company in Japan named Trend Micro did the same thing by skipping version 9 of it's anti-virus software. Of course, this is just a theory. But in reality, Microsoft can name it whatever they want, and people would still probably get it. 

​Never heard that 9 is considered as unlucky and for Microsoft to skip 9 because of Japan is something. There must be an explanation

There's actually quite a lot of background for the number nine (and other numbers as well) mythologically. You can read more about that in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(number)

As for Microsoft: we may never know. Why did they decide to go with XP? Why Vista? Why then back to numbers? Why wasn't 8.1 just another update to 8? Lots of questions, very little answers. Personally I think they just wanted to get to a round number since they're going to stop the numbering (like Apple does with OSX).

They can honestly do whatever they want, it's not such a big deal. The same way they went from xbox 360 to xbox One. Not really that important in my opinion. The real question is: Will Windows 10 be a worthy upgrade over Windows 7?

Some 3rd party vendors developed applications for windows desktop and used windows 9 as the naming convention. In order to accommodate the legacy code, Microsoft switched over to the 10th version. In any case, their marketing strategy has always been bizarre. I would, however, like to see, how best windows 10 performs.

Probably they did a 9 version which was so bad and so bugged that in never was released, who knows. I too find it funny how they skipped from with 98 and 2000 to windows 7,8 and now 10.

All we can do is come up with crazy theories but we won't know unless Microsoft reveals it themselves. I do think it's kinda silly they skipped 9 but hey, whatever.

I guess the fact that we don't know why they jumped to 10 from 8 is fun, mysteries are fun. Even when it's something as dumb as this.

Since Windows 10 is the last Windows OS, I find 10 more fitting number than 9. Besides there are already stated number of reasons why could they possibly skip 9, I don't really care as long as they bring us fast and stable OS.

I don't really know mate I guess that they made this choice based on some occulted marketing strategy. You wouldn't find me surprised if that was the case. They are studying hard on every aspect of the commercialization of their products and I bet that this is likely to be one of this new aspects or it just simply a matter of choice like "10 is bettern than 9".

A friend from Microsoft, actually an associate of my wife, said that Windows 9 had so many bugs that they had shelved it. After coming out with W10 they plan to re-program the W9 and make it W11. It was not clear on what kind of bugs but the informant hinted that it is related to internet compatibility.

A friend from Microsoft, actually an associate of my wife, said that Windows 9 had so many bugs that they had shelved it. After coming out with W10 they plan to re-program the W9 and make it W11. It was not clear on what kind of bugs but the informant hinted that it is related to internet compatibility.

​LOL, that's funny. Or wait a second, you actually believed that?

If, for reasons beyond understanding, a company created an OS that was too full of bugs to be worked out (I doubt not even Microsoft would manage to do that though!) why on Earth would they put that on hold, create something else and then come back to re-create that? It makes no sense whatsoever.

I've heard a lot about Windows 10, being the final windows, so maybe 10 is more for a sense of finality. Maybe there's a lot of improvements in this new windows, hence they felt the need to skip a number. Hahaa maybe someone needs to write an email to Windows and ask them 

Because W9 doesn't exactly sound as futuristic and important as W10. I think they just wanted something that sounded big. 9 doesn't give that impression. Also maybe because it's to hint that this is the last OS that Microsoft will release, as they announced some weeks ago. 10 does seem like a nice number to finish with, doesn't it?

I've heard a lot about Windows 10, being the final windows, so maybe 10 is more for a sense of finality. Maybe there's a lot of improvements in this new windows, hence they felt the need to skip a number. Hahaa maybe someone needs to write an email to Windows and ask them 

​I honestly wrote my reply before seeing yours, haha. I guess we arrived to the same conclusion.

I think it probably is more about legacy coders using 9 for Windows 95 and 98 rather than some superstition, although that might have came into play. I also think 10 is an important number, as it is the first double digit number, and they are trying to state something subconsciously about the size of the project. Make people think it is important. 

I think it probably is more about legacy coders using 9 for Windows 95 and 98 rather than some superstition, although that might have came into play. I also think 10 is an important number, as it is the first double digit number, and they are trying to state something subconsciously about the size of the project. Make people think it is important. 

​Does this "legacy coding" thing have any real basis? I was under the impression that as Windows versions never were distinguished by their marketing name (on a software level) this is just one big myth going around.

Also you already said it yourself they've been having double-digit named versions, your claim that Win10 would be the first one makes no sense at all. They've also had (and have) versions 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012, so yeah...

​LOL, that's funny. Or wait a second, you actually believed that?

If, for reasons beyond understanding, a company created an OS that was too full of bugs to be worked out (I doubt not even Microsoft would manage to do that though!) why on Earth would they put that on hold, create something else and then come back to re-create that? It makes no sense whatsoever.

​It may sound funny but I believe that person who said it because he has a very good reputation. But on second thought, it may just be a rumor because I understand that big companies have their own private rumors inside.

I don't think it has a lot to do with superstitious thoughts rather than the name itself. IMO, Windows 10 sounds a lot better than Windows 9, but yeah, the superstition thing might also be a reason since many of MS' users are from Japan. I did some research and I also saw the many stories about this number. Still a lil' bit silly to me. :P

I myself was wondering why they skipped 9 and went straight to 10, seems weird, but it is what it is. I don't think Microsoft has gave us a direct reason as to why they didn't do a windows 9.

On second thought, this thread is a one good idea to think about. We all know that people inside Microsoft are no nonsense in their thinking. And who would forget that 9 comes after 8? It's a silly question but something to ponder on. What is the real reason behind the missing Windows 9 version? I have contacted my friend in Microsoft for added information but he declined to comment directly albeit he sounded like he wanted it to be a mystery. Hmm, anybody has an idea?

Hmm, anybody has an idea?

​I'd still say it's Apple-esque uniformity when they're going to be using WX across desktops, laptops, tables and Windows Phones. Having more or less the same core anyhow makes it a bit easier to market that all, and with Universal apps running the same stuff across all your devices it only makes sense to stragith out skip one number.

And like said, they've done it before, and mostly just for marketing purposes anyhow, so what's the big deal?

Yeah, I was also wondering why Microsoft skipped the number 9. Maybe, they didn't want Windows 9 to be confused with their earlier versions of Windows which were the Windows 9x series: Windows 98, Windows 95, etc. But I think, the number 10 is better and more future oriented.