• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kamix

Modprobe: bad line 1617: 1 tokens found, 2 needed

Question

Hi, i'm facing quite annoying error after messing with Nvidia drivers on Debian. Basically, i wanted to install Nvidia drivers instead of Nouveau, but apparently my gpu isn't supported anymore and i needed legacy drivers. As i'm quite lazy sometimes, i thought that Nouveau actually will do 9_9 But i got tired of nvidia's driver nagging about the dependencies and i used package manager to delete the first thing with "nvidia-driver" in its name. Then obviously everything stopped working as it should.

After reboot i was left with only terminal. So i searched through modprobe.d catalog for a file, that might be blacklisting nouveau. I found something called almost literally "nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf". So there was a line about blacklisting nouveau and i removed it. Then i used update-initramfs -u . After reboot, the screen resolution was appropriate again, but during boot procedure, system started nagging about this "bad line".

Fast forward a couple of hours - i installed the incompatible nvidia, so i could properly remove nvidia-related stuff once and for all with apt-get remove nvidia-* --purge and it fixed the problem with missing GUI, so GNOME was working again, as did Nouveau.

But the annoying Modprobe: bad line 1617: 1 tokens found, 2 needed at the boot remained and i can't get rid off it. OS is running fine, it's just this one little thing that's getting on my nerves...

Do you have any suggestions, guys? Sorry if it's too chaotic, but i'm little bit tired.

Edited by kamix

2 answers to this question

Could you post your nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf please?

Edited by nytegeek

I would love to, but it got deleted after purging the system off of the nvidia-related files. It just contained some comments and a line that was basically saying "blacklist nouveau" or something extremely familiar. The modprobe error started to show up when i removed that line and remained after apt-get remove nvidia-* --purge. Even though i deleted everything nvidia-related (the file mentioned above too). So something more "native" to the OS itself must've changed in the process of me being stupid.

Edited by kamix

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Clone1143
      I wanted to make this post about Elementary simply because I'm total awe of this OS . It's now been 13 days since I installed Freya (first-time eOS install) and I can already say that it is as close to perfection as any OS's will ever get for me!! This of course is a purely subjective opinion and I don't expect it to be the same for other people. It's just that it's everything I want in an OS, there is nothing I feel I want to change other than maybe polishing the code to make it even more efficient and snappy. Anyone else on here tried eOS? What do you guys think of it?
    • By Tanawan
      So, Nowadays, Are you satisfied with Windows? Would you change it?
    • By nytegeek
      I had forgotten just how annoying Windows Setup problems could be until I decided to Install Windows 8 into a virtual machine on Ubuntu today. I'm sick of dual booting for the few Windows applications I need that don't play well with Wine. I was trying to install it from my Windows Install DVD into Virtualbox and it kept failing at about 95% into copying files. I checked the DVD, no scratches or smudges. I finally gave up and decided to make an iso of the DVD and try to install from that instead. It worked perfectly! I made the iso from the terminal:
      sudo cat /dev/sr0 > /home/nytegeek/windows.iso It installed fast and without errors. So when in doubt try your install from an iso and you may save some headache!
    • By nytegeek
      Has anyone had a successful streamlined dual boot installation with Ubuntu of  prior to 12.04 and Windows 8.1 on a UEFI machine? i would be interested in what steps you used, whether you backed up your system first, and if it was successful.
    • By nytegeek
      I recently started using Ubuntu again for most of my work and I ran into a very frustrating problem. My mouse, keyboard, and whatever was displayed on my monitor would just freeze. It would completely lock up and need a hard boot to recover at seemingly random intervals. My search on the matter was turning up nothing until I ran across some information in the release notes for a different distribution. I had already realized it was a video driver issue by this time but still wanted to correct the problem so that I could use a livecd or usb without problems. The answer to this issue was in the Linux Mint Release notes of all places:

At the boot menu of the live DVD/USB, press Tab to edit the boot arguments and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line. Remove "quiet splash --" from that same line. Append "nouveau.noaccel=1" at the end of the line. This of course allows you to use a livecd session, install, or run rescue utilities without the freezing issue. The answer to the problem as far as my installation was concerned was to install the proprietary drivers for my NVIDIA card. You can find more details at: 
      http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rafaela_cinnamon.php and http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/drivers 
    • By AlexKid
      A day doesn't go by where something notable is taking place in the world of Android. It's definitely an exciting OS with much happening in the gaming space in particular. While we already know that Android is the popular choice for mobile games, it doesn't end there. Recently Nintendo announced that Android will be the OS in their upcoming console, the Nintendo NX. Of course they denied it a while later but that's not important. After all, even if Nintendo doesn't adopt Android it's already becoming a popular choice among microconsole manufacturers. The OUYA was one of the first forays into this market but recently companies like NVIDIA and Razer have entered the fray.
      What are your thoughts on microconsoles and the fact that they adopted Android?
    • By MyDigitalpoint
      Just this morning came across with an interview that caught my eye because all of us know who the men behind Apple (Steve Jobs) and Microsoft (Bill Gates) are, but being honest, I ignored who is the man responsible for the Linux operating system, Linus Torvalds, so I thought to share with all of you this article:
      Full article and video interview win Linus Torvald can be found here, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-16/the-creator-of-linux-on-the-future-without-him
    • By dantech
      Hi guys, what's your thought about Linux and common services like WWW, DNS, SMTP,etc.. ? Why they are so tight together? I mean most of the servers (especially web servers) online are running Linux as host and I believe that the reason could be associated with the fact that it's really reliable and stable as OS and there are also a lot of pre made tools that are needed to  maintences works and stuff. What's your opinion?
    • By AlexKid
      These days, with the rising popularity of indie and mobile gaming there also seems to be some interesting aesthetic directions. Due to the low-budgets and small teams, 2D games have returned with a vengeance. Particularly there has been a strong resurgence of 8-bit / 16-bit retro-style games capturing the visual and audio aesthetics of games developed on vintage systems. Quite common to find many games with pixel art graphics and chiptune background music, mimicking NES and Sega Genesis games. The recent indie hit - Shovel Knight is a perfect example of this. 
      What is your take on this, and do you enjoy these types of games?
    • By superbobby
      I am opening this thread to open the discussion on SteamOS. For those who don't know, SteamOS is a Linux-based operating system created by Valve which uses Debian7 as its foundation. SteamOS is a specialized operating system that is built and modified specifically for gaming.
      Personally I am excited about SteamOS. One of the disadvantages of Linux operating systems is that PC games aren't as accessible compared to other operating systems. SteamOS is going to change all of that. Valve owns the biggest platform for digital game distribution  which is Steam and from an economic perspective, Valve has the bargaining power to force game developers to write code that is compatible with SteamOS and other Linux based operating systems.This is big news and I am glad that Valve is headed to the direction of Linux based gaming.  Are you excited for SteamOS? Tell me your thoughts about SteamOS?
    • By dantech
      Hi guys, has anyone of you updated NVIDIA drivers? I've  GTX 970 graphics card and it has been recenlty updated the driver for Linux ubuntu but the procedure for updating it is quite complex  Do you know an easy way to do it (the apt standard proceudre seems to have some troubles as far as I am concerned).
    • By dantech
      As you Linuxers all know there are two kind of ways of installing a new software in Linux (we take Ubuntu/Debian as an example). Do you prefer to use APT or build them form sources? Personally, I prefer using APT when the matter is just to install and use the software without any prerogative but I prefer the sources when it come to personalize the installation process. What about you?
    • By dfarmer2001
      I have never personally heard of Linux before. So, I am a little curious on what it is and what it does exactly? I have heard quite a few good and some bad things about this Linux, so it would be really interesting to find out what exactly this is.
      I honestly do not know what else to post here, and questions to ask. After this question is answered I will more than likely have some additional questions about it.

Thank you!
    • By dantech
      Hi guys, what Linux shell (bash,dash,ksh,etc...) do you use most of time you have to work with the command line interpreter? I use the default bash but it's not rare to find me using also the ksh terminal (also known as korn shell). The latter one it's quite handy also because it's really leightweight and not "heavy" as bash and come on... bash is too mainstream :P! It's better using something different even for learn something new. What do you think?
    • By jayres
      I'm restoring an old PC of mine and wiping the hard drives clean with a fresh OS instal and thought I would give Linux a go for the first time. Its got an old i7, 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 and no GPU. I was wondering what the primary differences between the different distributions of Linux were at a fundamental level? I can imaging there are differences in UI and so on but is there any reason why you might pick one over another once user interface is put aside?
    • By Sebastián
      So, I was getting ready to replace my current Windows XP system (in a dual-boot machine with Lubuntu 14 installed) with a fresh copy of Windows 7, so that I would be able to locally install Office 365. But as I cannot upgrade my installation directly (because I never bought Vista), and I'd need to reinstall my apps and backup + restore my working files, I decided not to overwrite my Windows partition yet. 
      What I did do, instead, is fire up Lubuntu, make sure the free utility VirtualBox was installed, and use my Windows 7 CD to create a new virtual machine; this is, I effectively installed Windows 7 inside Linux. 
      What I found surprised me. Even when working inside the virtual machine under the host operating system, Windows 7 is as fast, if not faster than, my natively installed XP! Even with Outlook and a Web browser open! 
      I definitely recommend testing a new operating system this way. If you want more details about what I did, feel free to comment. 
      A word or caution, though: I haven't activated my Windows 7 from the virtual machine, because I think that doing that would mean my key would no longer be valid for activating the OS when I am finally ready to install it over the XP partition. I understand that the key can only be used once, and I will have to uninstall Windows from the virtual machine before performing the native installation. 
      Another word of caution: if you install Windows 7 in a dual-boot system, it will overwrite the boot manager and you won't be able to boot Linux anymore. But this can be solved by booting from the Lubuntu CD and downloading a boot repair tool. Such a procedure is too complex to outline here, but it's possible.
    • By zero
      When trying to launch Spotify on LMDE 2, the following error pops up:
      Solved by installing libgcrypt11 from the Debian archives which can be found here.
      This fix is not ideal but it works. On Debian and Ubuntu distributions libgcrypt11 has been superseded with libgcrypt20.
      After downloading libgcrypt11, install it using dpkg:

• By damien
      I'm looking for a free SSL certificate for my server and some little info about installing it to Apache. I read that StartSSL does offer free ones (that basically just automatically check the ownership of the domain and an email address, good enough for me now) but does anyone else have another solutions? Or maybe not solutions but alternatives, unless StartSSL is good enough?
      Also how would I go about installing that to my Apache server? Is it an easy thing to do?
    • By OoTWISTERoO
      Hey all, I don't know how popular this website is, but it really provides info on why Linux is better, and also provides exceptions on why Windows might be better for you. This is the website: http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

So in case someone is wondering should they switch to/from Linux, you might wanna give them this website.
    • By Briggs
      ... Did it take you to become proficient at using Linux? I knew it would be a challenge. I was prepared for that. I didn't realize it was going to be THIS difficult. It feels like I'm learning to speak an entire new language, sometimes. Where did you have the most trouble? Any advice?