• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alexandoy

Computers in lieu of the traditional books and notebooks

20 posts in this topic

I have noticed that some schools here are requiring students to use laptops (or tablets maybe) for their classroom lessons. If this is the sign of the times, the writings on the wall is clear - we are shifting full digital. My question is this: how do the children learn to write in long hand? They can be good with the keyboard but how about with the pen?

Apple launched the Ipencil so kids can still use a pen even with a tablet. I know there are already tablets with stylus in the market and a stylus works like how a pen will work. 

Most of the schools that uses tablets never ditched the notebooks. They only ditched the textbooks.  So the tradition of learning to hand write won't die yet.

Look at the bright side, many trees will be saved from becoming paper.

I think it's a little ridiculous. It makes people more dependent on technology to get things done. Also staring at a computer screen for long periods of time isn't good for anyone. They should only use the computers every now and then, not all the time.

Apple launched the Ipencil so kids can still use a pen even with a tablet. I know there are already tablets with stylus in the market and a stylus works like how a pen will work. 

Most of the schools that uses tablets never ditched the notebooks. They only ditched the textbooks.  So the tradition of learning to hand write won't die yet.

Look at the bright side, many trees will be saved from becoming paper.

I agree with your point that we can save a lot of trees by turning in to a  digital phase.  It is very important in the present scenario of environment protection.  

I also think learning with the help of images and videos will have deeper impact on kids and they will be able to remember things than conventional text book methods.  As per experts if you learn something through videos it can penetrate in your mind more deeply.  But at the same time we cannot ignore the importance of  writing with a pen.  This is more of a brain exercise and it needs to be continued.  I think there should be a perfect balance between conventional and modern techniques.

Use of modern techniques in education is definitely a blessing, but we need to employ it judiciously.

Here in the UK more and more schools are also turning to tablets in the classroom and while I have nothing against that, I think they need to be used as well as the traditional methods rather than instead of.

Back when I was in school (and yes I did go to school, believe it or not) calculators weren't allowed in math class or in exams. Not because they are evil entities but simply because the teachers wanted us to be able to do math without the need to resort to a calculator. The same needs to be implemented now and while computers have their uses and make things easier, children also have to learn to be able to do the basics without them firstly.

I think that is obvious, any electronic equipment that interact with their thinking ability should be avoided like calculators.  That will not help in boosting their intelligence level.  Using Information Technology can go a long way in giving real life like experience to students at the classroom itself.  

Another point is ease of access where you can find any information at the distance of a finger touch.  This method will definitely arouse curiosity among students and lead their further development. But examinations should be conducted seriously without any calculating aid.  Otherwise we will not able to map their intelligence level. Help of computers should be limited only in classrooms  and students should be encouraged to solve problems on their own without any external help. 

In my country I have yet to see this kind of thing happen in a bigger scale, but I have heard a couple schools are already adopting the tablet. Not sure if they are getting rid of the text books yet, but one thing is for sure... technology is becoming an essential part of our lives! When I was little I could never imagine ( tablets didn't even exist back the, lol) that we would end up depending on machines so much. Now look at us!

I say ditch the books for tablets but students should still use traditional notebooks on classes. Its nice ton have a perfect balance between something traditional and something modern. I got my scoliosis because growing up I have to carry 8 heavy books on my bag pack everyday. I think notebooks are not that heavy but books were. There are no lockers on my school so I have to carry 8 heavy books in my knapsack when I was like 7 years old. My bag pack would have been lighter with a single tablet replacing the textbooks.

Well the school buying a few lockers would have cost less than providing everybody with tablets surely?

Anyway, the point is that now children ARE allowed to use calculators in class in the schools around here, and some of the children can't cope without them, so for me that goes to show that if that's broadened out to other forms of technology then other basic skills will be lost also.

There is an inventor who developed a tablet made of paper. I am not kidding , it is made of paper and plastic and  it makes me think that this could be used for schools someday. It will be something that will make lives of students easier because its a lighter material.  It is only a working prototype. I have a feeling someday this could used  for educational purposes. 

Here is a video of it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=81iiGWdsJgg

Well the school buying a few lockers would have cost less than providing everybody with tablets surely?

Anyway, the point is that now children ARE allowed to use calculators in class in the schools around here, and some of the children can't cope without them, so for me that goes to show that if that's broadened out to other forms of technology then other basic skills will be lost also.

Yes, actually my mom noticed that a while ago, and yes she was a teacher for a very long time, she often said that children seemed to be losing the skill of  mentally calculating things in their heads, she said children nowadays seem to depend a lot on calculators and the like for all their basic calculations.  So I think that is one of the first skills that will go, and it had already started to disappear a while ago.  Back in the day using a calculator was considered cheating ;) 

And I might be wrong, but I think that's what will happen with writing as well at some point, if notebooks, pens and pencils are being replaced with tablets, laptops and computers.

Obviously I'm not saying the art of writing will die completely, but people's handwriting skills will obviously deteriorate the less they are required to do it.

And I might be wrong, but I think that's what will happen with writing as well at some point, if notebooks, pens and pencils are being replaced with tablets, laptops and computers.

Obviously I'm not saying the art of writing will die completely, but people's handwriting skills will obviously deteriorate the less they are required to do it.

i think Stylus will be the one to save the art of handwriting. Also some tablet using school still make students use notebooks because writing skills is still an important basic skill people needs to learn. I have a feeling that some parents will send their kids to private  schools in 3rd world countries if they still want to continue with traditional schooling.

i think Stylus will be the one to save the art of handwriting. Also some tablet using school still make students use notebooks because writing skills is still an important basic skill people needs to learn. I have a feeling that some parents will send their kids to private  schools in 3rd world countries if they still want to continue with traditional schooling.

I think you are absolutely right. Writing is very much required for overall development of a child.  It helps in improving their eye to hand coordination levels and motoring skills at an early stage.  I think we should not let modern technology completely take over old methods which can have bad effects on their overall development.  

But use of modern technology can go a long way in helping them to understand things.  It is proven that images and videos are the easiest ways to remember things.  So, we should take advantage of that.

Have you ever tries writing with a stylus though? Its not easy and in fact my writing with a stylus bares no resemblance to my normal hand writing.

I think they do have their uses, but I wouldn't say it's an alternative method to normal writing to be honest.

I am sure there will be a learning curve to be comfortable with it.  Before I really struggle with typing using a tablet and I get used to it eventually. I am still getting typo errors but its not as aweful as it use to be. I already know some people with good stylus hand writing and you can see their handwriting looks like something that is drawn to a paper. Apple I think depeloped a new stylus that is more accurate than past stylus sticks.

We had dinner with some relatives the other night in a hotel buffet for my wife's birthday. I had a chat with one of the nieces who is a college student. She said that they are digitizing almost everything. The usual blackboard that has shifted to white board is now a screen that projects the monitor of the professor's laptop.So it is clear that the olden ways and methods of learning are being replaced one by one.

The only positive thing about digitizing everything, Those lazy teachers who just force students to take down notes may not be able to force that lazy habit of forcing kids to copy something that is already on their books. I have a lazy teacher like that before who rarely do lessons. She just make kids copy things that are already in our text books.  In digital form, students wont need to torture their fingers copying a pretty long lesson reviewer that they already have a copy. 

On 11/1/2015, 12:02:21, SundayDrivah said:

The only positive thing about digitizing everything, Those lazy teachers who just force students to take down notes may not be able to force that lazy habit of forcing kids to copy something that is already on their books. I have a lazy teacher like that before who rarely do lessons. She just make kids copy things that are already in our text books.  In digital form, students wont need to torture their fingers copying a pretty long lesson reviewer that they already have a copy. 

Thanks for reminding me of my school days.  Teachers use to force students to copy the excerpts from textbooks when they have another business to do.  I think digitization will put an end to this practice and it can also ensure quality time being spent.  We used to have a teacher who always order us to copy a full lesson before going through the same.  I still can't figure out what was is the use of that.  The teacher would just snooze a bit while students are busy copying the texts!

Taking notes is a necessary exercise in research and in writing, digital or otherwise. Now I know why younger people tend to post so much unsubstantiated FUD online. As for rote copying of text, that isn't taking notes. The idea behind copying is that one will be able to quickly and readily recall the meaning of the material the more one repeats it, it is not the same as taking notes. Most teachers don't do it out of laziness contrary to what students may believe. It is a time tested practice that is used in educational systems world over for a variety of subjects.