• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
apperator

Which security app do you recommend?

Question

Recently I've been looking at a few security/privacy apps for Android and I've run across the following options...

1. Leo Privacy Guard
  2. AppLock
  3. Smart AppLock
  4. Advanced Protection

There are others but those seem to be the most promising. Currently I'm looking at LPG and AppLock as most likely being the best but I'm not sure. Going to give them all a shot and see which one prevails.

Which app would you recommend?

All I need to do is keep some of my apps locked and hide a few photos.

Edited by apperator

11 answers to this question

Until now I still have no security app for my phone. I am using it only for internet activities when I am away from my desktop (not so comfortable with the phone's keyboard). Friends have been telling me to install an anti-virus but I always seem to forget. Maybe I would monitor this thread for a good suggestion.

First off, I have to say that I've never tried any of the apps that you mentioned... So, I can't say anything about them.

But, for general security I recommend 360 Mobile Security because it offers the same protection as a premium service for free. For locking apps and hiding photos I STRONGLY recommend Hide It Pro (it's free!). That app is amazing! The icon is just music note symbols and when you open it looks like a boring volume adjusting app and it actually adjusts the volume of your device too, but if you press and hold the title it opens the Hide It Pro app. There you can hide pictures and videos. Plus, It lets you lock apps and if someone does try to open it a crash error will pop up, all you have to do is hit the report button and type in a password... Instead of your report message. It's really awesome! I love it!

I started using AppLock today and found that the free version isn't the entire thing. If want everything then you have to pay for a premium upgrade.

I think I'm going to go with Leo Privacy Guard. It's just as good as AppLock (if not better) and I don't have to worry about premium upgrades. I'd rather not spend money if possible.

I have Clean Master installed on my device. You can also install CM Security (Clean Master family). Very good apps. 

With CM Security you can lock any app on your android device. Try it :) I use it almost 1 year...

Clean Master is not something I will suggest for gamers. It mistakes game updates and game save files as junk files. I have to re-install updates and start over again after it deleted my progress in many games for the sake of saving space on my tablet. It really upsets the hell out of me.

Clean Master is not something I will suggest for gamers. It mistakes game updates and game save files as junk files. I have to re-install updates and start over again after it deleted my progress in many games for the sake of saving space on my tablet. It really upsets the hell out of me.

That doesn't sound too good.

So far I haven't encountered this with any of the apps I've tried so far. I'll definitely keep an out though.

Clean Master should really fix that.

I don't have that problem...Have you updated that app? You should contact them, they will help you.

Anti-virus is not necessary on a Unix derived operating system unless it is being used with root access. Both Android and iOS are Unix derived operating systems. File cleaners and cache cleaners are a waste. They do nothing to speed up your phone or secure it. In, fact, unless you like a slow and unstable experience you should not routinely clear a cache.

I don't have that problem...Have you updated that app? You should contact them, they will help you.

I contacted them, they apologized and their up deleted my game updates again. So i gave up on that up because reinstalling game updates is not fun if your internet connection is not super fast.  500 MB is hard to download for my internet connection during those times.  Reinstalling the updates they deleted is really a pain in the butt.  I rather stick  260 security because it doesn't harm game files.

I rarely use security app on Android, but I use data back and recovery software onmy computer, just in case i wrongly delete data on my android phone. i wonder if this is security app?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By nytegeek
      I decided to install EMET on the Windows computers in my home. I primarily use Linux but I do have copies of Windows in use as well. EMET goes a long way towards preventing exploits if it is used and configured properly. 
    • By zero
      We have enabled ModSecurity on our servers so if you're experience any errors (that may or may not be related to ModSecurity), let us know.
    • By itaddict
      A computer chip which is designed to self destruct in seconds can ensure sensitive data security.  They can be remotely  controlled. This will make sure that data on a stolen electronic devices is not misused. If there is a chance of misuse you can remotely destroy it in to little pieces. The chip is being manufactured by Novel Electronics Group that already produced a chip at PARC, a California based company.
      This can go a long way in securing very sensitive data on various fields.
      Chip that can self-destruct in seconds
    • By Seraphine
      Can you guys believe this?  It seems the Thai military junta has already banned the Thai internet users from using Facebook, Bitcoin and even a simple game!  It seems that wasn't enough though, because now they have bigger and more sinister plans. They are planning to connect all the country's users though a single getaway. That would mean there would be only one internet connection between the country and the rest of the world. Thailand  s known for its tough censorship measures, this move is meant to make it easier for the government to censor its users, as well as perform their surveillance duties. So this would basically mean zero privacy!
      A lot groups have united, and as a result several governments were down for a while all thanks to the cooperation of several groups conformed by worried citizens and the like.  This was done as a way to demonstrate,  but it's still not known if those DDos attacks will have any effect. 
      If you want to read more about the topic you can check the actual article here: http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/07/great-firewall-thailand/
    • By nytegeek
      Let me start by clearly stating something; I am not a fan of Microsoft Windows. I am an open source advocate and I prefer Linux to Windows for almost every possible use, That said, I see a lot of people hesitating to upgrade to Windows 10 over rumor, fear, uncertainty, and doubt. They are avoiding it for problems that don't even exist and leaving themselves open to security issues and higher costs down the road.
      There have been some locked threads, hidden comments, and even some warnings over misinformation posted. I thought a discussion to clear up confusion that can be referenced when FUD rears it's ugly head comes up might be good.
      Whether you are going to use Windows 10 or if you are going to choose not to use it do it for sound reasons at the very least. I would like to hear some of peoples reasons to upgrade or wait here. I would like to see solid verified pros and cons that aren't based on FUD. If you don't truly know, pose your response as a question so it can be answered. Let us get some clear useful information instead of starting random topics over rumors or peppering various discussions with a bias for or against the upgrade.. I can answer a lot of the questions being educated in the matter, but so can several others I have seen here.

• By nytegeek
      Adobe Flash is dying slowly as developers move to open and more secure standards.  Flash just got hammered with another nail in it's coffin. Amazon announced that it wont accept Flash ads on its ad network beginning September 1. This is spurred by the actions of browser makers that have taken moves against flash over security concerns. Death to Flash long live HTML 5!

• By nytegeek
      I challenge anyone reading this to disable Flash in any web browser they use for 7 days. Determine whether your experiences were affected by this at any of the sites you visit on a regular basis. Determine if there are non flash alternatives available for sites using Flash and if you really need to use those sites. Let us know what your results are. 
      Flash is frequently exploited to allow unchecked code to install and run on personal computers for any number of nefarious reasons. It is a security risk and Adobe can't keep it patched as fast as exploits are discovered. If you can live without it you are better off.
    • By wristlawyer
      Researchers from Indiana University and the Georgia Institute of Technology have cracked Apple's Keychain service. Although they announced the flaws back in October 2014, iPhone, iPad, and Mac users are still at risk.after eight months. More on 9to5mac.com 
      What does this say about Apple's consideration for their client's security?
    • By nytegeek
      A friend of mine had been doing some reading and ran across an article about embedded medical devices being hacked and used to covertly monitor or track individuals and even distribute malware. Devices like pacemakers and insulin pumps. He didn't link the article but a simple search of "embedded medical device security" found all sorts of information on the subject. 
      Instances of this have been portrayed in fiction as a far fetched or clever plot device but apparently this is a real world concern. It doesn't really surprise me. Computers are everywhere in many forms and devices. None of them are invulnerable to attack. Some systems and devices are less vulnerable than others but nothing is ever 100% secure.
    • By Mike T.
      This is an interesting read considering the topic started by @W Scribe - http://setuix.com/forum/topic/196-google-threatens-microsoft-and-apple/
      Do you think Google's arrogance will attract hackers? Personally I think if you're going to be play "police" others will come out and try and proof you wrong. What do you think?
    • By zero
      As a follow up to @W Scribe's post here, do you think that Project Zero should fall under a government body or do you think it is fine for Google to continue doing what it is doing?
    • By W Scribe
      Earlier this year, Google posted a threat to rival companies Apple & Microsoft to fix their vulnerabilities within 90 days or they will be made public. Only after ramping up their security vulnerability research, Google decided to become the watch dog. Their claim for doing this is to help keep governments and hackers out of peoples systems. When the deadline was reached and missed by their rivals, Google kept its promise and posted their finding on its corporate site. Was google right for doing this or was it a snitch move?
    • By damien
      I'm running CentOS 6.5 with CWP and Apache and I was wondering what might be a good way to ensure that my server stays secure and no hackers get through? Sure anyone with the determination will be able to break the walls, but at least stopping the majority would be my goal.
      So far I have changed my SSH ports, enabled a firewall and I was thinking of mod_security but it had some problems with my scripts so I had to disable it. Was that a bad idea? Is there anything else that I maybe should take into consideration?