• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
itaddict

Now your idle phone can help cure cancer!

6 posts in this topic

Yes, you can help the cancer research by downloading a free Android app called DreamLab.  Then put your phone charge as you sleep.  You have to choose the type of cancer research you would like to support - breast, prostrate, ovarian or pancreatic cancer.

This initiative is undertaken by Garvan Institute of Medical Research and Vodafone Foundation who want to create a super computer which will use the free power from your smartphone to accelerate cancer research.  You can nominate how much mobile network or WiFi data you would like to donate.  As per management with 1,00,000 apps on phones, the team could process the data about 3000 times faster! Just imagine how effective it could be.

How your idle phone can help cure cancer!

I understand the campaign to get support from the public particularly from the users of smart phone. But I cannot understand that portion about "Then put your phone charge as you sleep." Suppose I downloaded an app against prostate cancer, what then happens when I charge my phone when I sleep? Or maybe I got a wrong undestanding of the term? 

The title itself is already intriguing - idle phone can help cure cancer.

This is just distributed computing. It isn't new or innovative. It has been going in in various forms for a long time now.

Yes, I agree that it is not a new thing as distributed computing already exists for long now.  But taking advantage of this technology for something like cancer research is a new idea I think.  May be I have never heard of this before. I think it will get momentum gradually as cancer being the most dreaded disease of modern times. Hope this can help us in finding out a fruitful remedy for this killer disease.

There have been projects for cancer and a wide variety of other diseases for about 15 years at least now. The only thing slightly new about this is an app to do it with a smart-phone. It isn't the most efficient way to do distributed computing though. They are probably just trying to get more participation. This is being done with game consoles as well. A number of medical projects have come and gone over the years for the B.O.I.N.C. platform as well.

I like the idea. I think it sounds like a way to get people involved. Everybody has a smartphone or tablet. They aren't really asking for money. It is easy enough to do. They will get a lot of help this way. Anybody that knows about it and doesn't do it should feel a little guilty. I hope it works out.