• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SundayDrivah

You can now Use Google Maps offline!

1 post in this topic

Google Maps is helpful to some travelers but cant use it without internet connection. Recently Google decided to create an update to make this app available even if you don't have an internet connection:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2015/11/10/google-maps-now-lets-you-navigate-even-when-offline/

I believe it is a great news for mobile gadgets users because they have to rely on Wifi to use this app. We know Wifi is not available all the time so this is a game changer for everyone. It is a great innovation that you can use if you are in a place with weak internet connection. It is only available for Android users for now but this update will be available for Apple users soon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By SundayDrivah
      Few months ago I created a thread about Youtube's rental videos which are basically movies you have to pay for to watch. Now they were introducing a new service. It is called Youtube Red.  This service reminds me of 2 different services. The WWE Network and Jay Z's Tidal.  To watch original content on these services, You have to Pay a subscription of $.9.99 a month.  It is going to have original shows, Just like how Netflix have the Netflix originals and  its going to have Music videos and maybe concerts.  It's subscription fee is much more cheaper than Tidal  but I am still not sure how many people are willing to pay for this.
      The Purpose of Youtube Red is for creators and uploaders to earn from the content they create without worrying about adblockers. Many Youtubers have a decrease in earnings because of adblockers. Youtube and the content creators will split the revenue of Youtube Red.
    • By itaddict
      Google is working hard to make smartphones smarter not even in looks but in features too.  Google has invented one of the most useful features known as "Now on Tap" which can make your life easier. For example, by using Now on Tap you can set up a calendar event in just 3 seconds where it is supposed to take more than 3 minutes in the current scenario.  All you have to do is just press and hold the home key and tell Google what you actually want.
      Using Now on Tap you can easily interact with various websites/applications and at  the same time you can enjoy the features. There are unlimited possibilities related to  this interesting application.  Even though the application is not full fledged as it is in its initial stage, Google is still working hard to make it more effective.
      Another point to be noted is that Now on Tap allows you to use it while you are surfing or running an application, which is not possible now.
      Now "Now on Tap" from Google!
    • By SundayDrivah
      I just saw the footage testing of Google's latest venture, it is the Google project Wing. It is a delivery drone that may change how things we order online or via phone will be delivered. Less people are now sending snail mail letters and post cards but people still do it for nostalgia sake but I have a feeling in the future, even the snail mail letters and packages will be sent by drones. I am not sure how proficient these drones were but I don't think I want fragile breakable objects I will order to be delivered by them. If you ordered a box of eggs online, would those eggs go to your home unharmed?

This is the footage of Google's delivery drone:
      http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/19/9570893/google-project-wing-delivery-drone-video
      I am very skeptical about having things I ordered to be delivered by drone because just imagine if a bunch of kids with with slings see one flying around in the sky. I have a feeling that Drone salvaging will be a future crime.

• By itaddict
      Finally US Court backs Google in their book scanning project which is named as Google Books.  The Court rejected claims on violations of intellectual property rights as raised by a group of authors. Judges supported Google by saying that the digital library is  a service to society.  
      Google Books is a project to digitize millions of books which is open to public to search and refer only excerpts from them. As per Google authorities the project never revealed anything much to violate the author's copyright interests, but on the other hand it could help authors in exposing their works to potential buyers around the world. 
      US Court supports Google in digital library battle
    • By itaddict
      Google Cardboard is a Virtual Reality platform to use with a fold-out cardboard mount for a mobile phone. Google now detailed its expansion plans whereby Cardboard app is now available in 39 languages, over 100 countries. It's available on both Android and iOS platforms. They have also incorporated Google Street View in this application. Users can now experience improvements like a decrease in drift  especially on phones with low quality sensors.
      Since Google launched this innovative product last year, it has been facing stiff competition from OnePlus, Sony, Microsoft, HTC and other players. Hope the new features will give an edge to Google Cardboard over its competitors.
      Google Cardboard now available over 100 countries
    • By itaddict
      In order to face competition from sites like Facebook, Snapchat and Apple, Google has come up with a more user friendly feature called AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) for mobile web browsers, which ensures a faster loading of pages in mobile. AMP simplifies the HTML code behind mobile web content giving more emphasize to speed than anything else. In future its improved caching features may enable us to load pages faster than before. As per Google authorities the ultimate aim of this project is to improve the entire mobile content ecosystem for publishers, platforms and users.
      I think it would be a very user friendly initiative from Google. 
      Google’s ‘Accelerated Mobile Pages’ Promises Faster Loads
    • By itaddict
      I just came across a site called http://www.funny-google.com  which uses the search technology of Google. You can find the same results of Google here.  But there is something special about the logo.  You can change it as you like and you can even make it your own name or anything you like.  I mean instead of Google, it can display your name with same look of Google logo.
      I don't know if it has any other use, but the results are same as of Google.  I think it is capturing the same results from Google.  

• By itaddict
      Quite recently Google introduced two very useful features to their Gmail service.  Now users are at free to block unwanted email IDs and unsubscribe newsletters. Blocking a sender will put all future messages from him in the spam folder.  It is different from "report spam" option.  The feature would be available in Android phones within a week.
      In fact it would be a real relief when the inbox is flooded with spam mails.  Hope now I can avoid that Nigerian scammer and say good bye to him till he comes back with another mail id.
      http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/gmail-gets-block-sender-feature-android-app-adds-easy-unsubscribe-743467
    • By SundayDrivah
      YouTube is such a big asset to Google that I believe it is one of the reasons why some people are actually using Google Plus. Recently there are now some people who are gaining internet Celebrity status with Facebook videos.  At this moment Facebook videos cannot be monetized but there are already plans to monetize them. I started to notice that many Facebook videos are starting to get viral though some people illegally reuploads them on YouTube. I don't remember Dailymotion or Vimeo having their own viral videos but Facebook is now able to accomplish something YouTube is known for. For sure YouTube is the most established video sharing site but Facebook is a dominant Social Network and they already have the high population of members.
      I want to know what is your opinion on the potential rivalry between 2 giants.  Do you think Facebook can compete  against YouTube when they were not originally known for videos?
    • By alifakhoury1
      What do you guys think of the new Google Logo? Some say it is good, others say it is garbage and has no taste. 
      To some it is just a logo, to others it isn't! Now Google has to change their logo on everything! From their shirts to bags to buildings to whatever Google owns, and it would suck for them if it all went to nothing because people hated it. I just wanted to know what people here think.
    • By Diane Lane
      ASUS has developed a new router and is apparently gunning for Google, at least based on the title of this article. I don't know much about specifications, but this sounds like it's a big improvement on what's currently available. $400 is pretty expensive, but that's the price mentioned for year end release, and no doubt that price will come down after the new year. http://www.scratchwireless.com/pad/asus-gives-google-a-run-for-their-money/
    • By itaddict
      In continuation to its organizational restructuring last month, Google has changed its logo. Google is going through lot of changes.  Last month they have regrouped all services under their newly formed  parent company called "Alphabet".  
      They used sans-serif font for the new logo, similar to their parent company Alphabet. The logo retained the blue colored "g" in it while the little "g" icon changed its color from blue to a four colored one.  The logo is already on line now with some nice animations.
      http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/google-redesigns-its-logo-734975

• By itaddict
      As per New Corp CEO Robert Thomson Google is nothing but a center of greed, censorship, corruption and piracy.  As per him companies like Google and Facebook is not doing any value addition to society. They are only the redistributors of what others have created and even without a fair payment model.  He even criticized "Alphabet", the newly structured  parent company of Google.
      All this happened when he was addressing the gathering at Lowy Institute Media Awards in Sydney.
      http://www.businessinsider.in/News-Corp-CEO-just-slammed-Google-for-greed-censorship-corruption-and-piracy/articleshow/48485680.cms
    • By dantech
      Hi guys, does anyone of you really use google search operators? Sometimes I've been using them quite a lot i must say like "inurl" and "intext" are the ones I've used most of the time so far. What about you?
    • By itaddict
      Project Loon is one of the most awaited technological breakthrough world is waiting for.  In this project Google will send over helium balloons to cover up places where cell towers do not exist.  They wanted to cover more and more people to enjoy the benefits of internet.  And at the same time it will be a real boost to their advertisement business.  This project can bring a lot of economic and social benefits to society. 
      Facebook is also planning to start their own airborne internet project like this.  Anyway this will benefit more people especially in rural areas.
      http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/534986/project-loon/
    • By SundayDrivah
      YouTube originally have a different  owner and it was purchased by Google and it became a billion dollar company.  I remember years ago there is a news where Google tried to buy twitter but they failed because the owner of Twitter turned them down. The buyout offer Google gave them is 10 Billion dollars.  If I was offered that amount of money to make love with Honey Boo Boo's mother, I will not say no. The owner of Twitter have that offer of a lifetime but they said no. 
      How different the world of internet would have been if Google had purchased twitter? Do you think Google Plus would exist if they managed to buy twitter? Do you think the owner of Twitter did the right decision of declining 10 billion US dollars? Years later after Twitter turned down an offer of a lifetime, they were still relevant.
    • By itaddict
      I am sorry that I hardly know anything about this initiative by Google.  In simple words if you put an image into their software you will get some weird pictures as a result. Usually it will take more than 24 hours to process it. They say that their AI (Artificial Intelligence) starts dreaming of the image and give us a final output.  In my image output there are a large number of eyes in and around my face.  I feel it quite strange and could not make anything out of it.
      is there anybody who can give a better idea of this?  It sounds really interesting. 
    • By SundayDrivah
      Sorry for trying to make everyone feel old again as this is my second  Nostalgia thread.  Anyone here who remembers how YouTube was like before Google decided to purchase it? I remember I found YouTube back in 2006.  The very first YouTube video I ever watched is Resident evil Numa. Which is a parody of the videogame Resident evil series. Before Grumpy cat have her 150 Million US dollars Net worth, the most popular Internet via YouTube cat is Maru, a fat Scottish fold cat who loves to play with boxes.
      When I registered at YouTube, I used a Yahoo email to become a member. Years later Google purchased it and they forced everyone to create a Google Plus accounts. On the early years of Google's ownership of YouTube, they still allow me to log in with a Yahoo email but the moment  Google Plus happened, they converted my legacy account into a Gmail email.
      On it's early years YouTube is a Piracy heaven,  you can make music videos with copyrighted songs without  worrying about getting banned or having your video deleted. One day UMG and WMG either deletes videos or mutes them. They also banned everyone who uploads music videos of their singers. I think an agreement happened between YouTube, UMG and WMG so people will be able to use Music.
      On the early years of YouTube, if you missed an episode of your favorite TV show, someone will upload it right away. Now if you search TV episodes , You will only see those Survey traps .Before the like and dislike bar, You rank the videos from 1 star to five stars. There is a huge outrage when that happened. 

A feature of YouTube that I miss will be video replies. Before you can upload a video as a reply of another video. That feature is removed because some women with big boobs known as the reply girls abused that system so they will appear on the suggested videos tab. They were called the reply girls because they make video replies of trending YouTube videos and copy their tags. The reply girls makes a lot of money from YouTube partnership and they were getting a lot of views because their boobs is in the thumbnails. People got annoyed because they kept in appearing on the suggestion tab so Google decided  to remove the video reply option of YouTube.

Do you still remember what YouTube was like before it is purchased by Google?
    • By Top745
      I know that you can sign in to gmail, youtube, and blogger with the same password but is that safe? I read somewhere that you shouldn't open more than one account at a time to prevent it from getting hacked into. I don't now if my accounts have ever been hacked or not, but I change my password often for a precaution. If someone gets access to your gmail, then they can access everything else. Google says it's nothing to worry about, what do you think about this?
    • By SundayDrivah
      If you guys lives under a rock, most likely you didn't know YouTube is owned by Google.  Whenever I express my opinion at the comment section of a YouTube video, I have a tendency to get a lot of likes. If you are top commenter, all eyes are on you. You going to get a lot of attention and that includes cyber bullies. I had encountered people who harasses me and even threatens my life. 
      I don't want to waste my time talking to rude and classless people  so I reported the person and blocked it. One day  while I am on a vacation, I decided to visit YouTube  with a Public computer. I decided to rewatch a video that I like  and I know I have the top comment on that video.  I am not logged on YouTube  so I saw something interesting. The person that harrases me online is not banned. He is still flooding my comment with death threats. Google just hide the comments of that  sick Individual from IP address or when I am logged in.
      I checked out his activity and he had been harassing people for years and he is still active until now. I can't believe that Google nor YouTube  banned him. They just hide his comments from the people who report him. Discovering this makes really mad. I think Google don't ban  these people because they profit from the comments.