• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jillyan10

Do you download your music or stream it online?

97 posts in this topic

I am just curious if most of you download their music online and listen to their smartphones or IPod or you stream it online? I mostly download my music on the internet because it is free and I can just compile it in my Android phone. It is better to have your own IPod though. You can also stream you music online especially if your phone has its own internet connection or you are always connected to the WIFI.

Edited by Fawk
Moved to General Tech discussion. Music section is for discussions related to music only.

It's a case-to-case basis for me. If I really the music itself, I do download it because I love editing it, like altering it's speed and pitch in order for me to sing along with it. But if the music isn't interesting for me, I'm just gonna stream it.

I've never streamed it online. I think I'm careful when it comes to such stuff because I try to not do anything illegal, I don't know if streaming it online is illegal, is it actually illegal?

I've never streamed it online. I think I'm careful when it comes to such stuff because I try to not do anything illegal, I don't know if streaming it online is illegal, is it actually illegal?

I think OP meant using services like Spotify. Nothing illegal there. Not sure if Spotify is available in Israel though.

Spotify might not be available that much outside EU and US, but if you pay for the premium ($10 a month or something if I remember correctly) you get the travel access feature which means that you're able to listen to your music everywhere, anytime. I travel quite a lot so it's a very neat feature, and really worth the money.

Currently I use Pandora for my music needs. I'm more of an old school music fan so that service works for me. I don't have a paid subscription so I get a commercial every so often but its not bad. Downloading can be a pain at times especially for your machine if you're not careful.

I download a lot of music so I can listen to it when I don't have access to the internet, when I'm travelling, for instance. It can take a long time to download a lot of songs/albums though, so I can see how streaming may be more convenient. 

Additionally, I stream a lot of music from YouTube when I'm at home, though.

I like to stream music online because i use an smartphone more than my computer these days. A smart phone doesn't have enough space to download all you favorite music so the best thing is to stream music online. I have downloaded spotify and its a great app that offers free online music streaming.

For my phone, I always try to use streaming services to get my music, since space could always be an issue. 

For my PC, on the other hand, as an avid gamer I find music streaming sites to be quite demanding performance-wise. Combine that with a weak computer and I really have no choice but to download all the music I need and play it on a simple player.

Edited by druqz

To be honest, I'm quite lazy when it comes to downloading music. I do stream most of the time, but when it comes to listening on the train or in the car I prefer not using up my 4G and listen to the ones I've downloaded, but it's hard to keep up because I'm always finding new songs on Soundcloud and it's a lot easier just to save it on my playlists and listen there. 

I download myself because when I stream a song I can't really find the one that I listen too. What I

do is find the name of songs I like, and I download instantly it hard  to stream it just right , and I am not a professional.

I download myself because when I stream a song I can't really find the one that I listen too. What I

do is find the name of songs I like, and I download instantly it hard  to stream it just right , and I am not a professional.

​​Yes, I know what you mean. You can really just pick up the title of the songs that you like and download it online. There are many sites you can download free songs like downloads.nl and so on. I do download some of the songs that I really like as well. 

To be honest, I'm quite lazy when it comes to downloading music. I do stream most of the time, but when it comes to listening on the train or in the car I prefer not using up my 4G and listen to the ones I've downloaded, but it's hard to keep up because I'm always finding new songs on Soundcloud and it's a lot easier just to save it on my playlists and listen there. 

Soundcloud? I never heard of this, but it seems a great place to listen music though. I will try to look into this. There are times that I feel lazy to download as well so if I have the internet connection or WIFI then I will just stream everything that I want to listen to.

Whether it's streaming or downloading music it really doesn't matter because I do both of them. It all depends on the song that I am trying to find usually. If I am looking for a ringtone than I generally just stream the music. If I am looking for a full song, album, etc. that is when I start downloading my music. I just can't help myself, I just love to listen to my music.

Soundcloud? I never heard of this, but it seems a great place to listen music though. I will try to look into this. There are times that I feel lazy to download as well so if I have the internet connection or WIFI then I will just stream everything that I want to listen to.

​Soundcloud is mainly great for listening to less mainstream stuff though, but so good for discovering new and upcoming artists. Especially if you like listening to genres like hip hop, EDM and house music. Although there are a bunch of other types of artists too. 

Whether it's streaming or downloading music it really doesn't matter because I do both of them. It all depends on the song that I am trying to find usually. If I am looking for a ringtone than I generally just stream the music. If I am looking for a full song, album, etc. that is when I start downloading my music. I just can't help myself, I just love to listen to my music.

Yes, same here bro. If you really like the song then you need to download it so that you can have access to it even if you don't have internet connection to stream it online. Streaming can just be used if you have access to the WIFI or mobile packet data connection all the time or if you just want to hear a part of a certain song.

I mostly listen to music on the go. On the bus, while walking in the street, while travelling, etc... A WiFi connection isn't always available so streaming is not that great an option for me. I just download them.

I turn on my iTunes Radio just so I have something playing on the background while I am working. If there is something interesting on that radio then maybe I will download it.

I listen to music both from my computer and my phone. On the phone, I use the Spotify app that lets me listen to all the music I want while I'm walking around or going somewhere. However, on the PC I usually just listen to songs from YouTube or get a playlist from friends that might be on some other site. The only reason I would download a song in this day and age is for editing purposes which I've done a few times.

If I were to obtain music, I would probably download the music from online and then sync my iPhone. But nowadays, I don't even download music for my own. I'm very into using Pandora or Spotify to get the music that I need -- including finding music that's new to me. But ever since everything has been downloadable and there's a lack use of CDs, downloading isn't as fun.

I tend to stream much more than downloading music simply because of its accessibility to do so. For example, when I download music, I usually download from YouTube and have to go through the whole process of converting the video into a music file and then eventually getting the music onto my phone. However, if I'm just on my laptop or really quickly on-the-go with my phone in the car, I'll be seen streaming music off of my premium Spotify account. It's wonderful!

I really prefer to download music if it is available for me to do so. The only recent drawback is the new phone I got (iphone 5s) is too advanced for my "old" macbook.. and I can no longer sync my music from my mac to my new phone. Because of this I have been streaming music on my phone and downloading less.

I prefer to download my music too, it makes it easier to have these songs and tracks while i'm out and about. It definitely takes up a lot of storage on my phone. I have always find syncing quite frustrating but I'm getting better with the whole technology thing. 

I download my music because I don't have an unlimited data plan and it's not worth it to for me to stream music. Yeah, it does take up some storage on my phone, so what? It's not like I'm going to use all that storage for games or something else.

I only download it for my phone, but I stream it when I'm on my PC, it's just much more convenient, for me at least. Most of my friends to this way as well. I mainly use Spotify and Youtube.