• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyDigitalpoint

Anyone Using Custom WP Login Page

11 posts in this topic

I am actually running WordPress 4.2 with custom login/register/password recovery page, what means user never see the typical WP login page, nor the rewrite to  site/login/ as the custom page has other name.

However I'm not sure if this is causing that almost all captcha plugins don't work on it. Curiously, some of these were working up to version 3.9 and, in WP plugin page, they say  to be compatible with my actual version, but I'm getting no captcha there but in the comments though.

Does any of you know  the workaround to get captcha working again? Or maybe the suggestion of a captcha plugin that works in this case?

What is the reason for using the custom login page? Is the page hidden entirely or you just want it to look different than the default?

What is the reason for using the custom login page? Is the page hidden entirely or you just want it to look different than the default?

​As I understand from OP's message it means that they have moved their login page to a different URL, e.g., instead of domain.com/wp-login they'd use domain.com/secretlogin which makes it practically impossible for spambots or (unskilled) hackers to find the login page itself.

That's a good practice with every other possible popular login page type as well.

If the page has been moved and the links changed then I suppose the Captcha needs to be told where to be placed.

If the page has been moved and the links changed then I suppose the Captcha needs to be told where to be placed.

​Quite likely, although I don't really understand the need for one when moving the whole log-in page to something private is done to ensure that no other users would find it in the first place. Kinda makes the whole captcha obsolete and just useless obstacle to yourself.

Personally I hate the fact of having WordPress development team making free and available to all this software, but enforcing their branding through the use of the wp_ prefix in directories, files, database, besides logos and other WP-related references. 

From my standpoint this looks so unprofessional. Just browsing the site of a renowned journalist and seeing "wp_"  or "wp-" in the source code.

This is why I try to remove as much as possible the  WP branding. In fact I have succeed removing the prefix totally in the past, but it's hard to keep a WP site up this way due to continuous updates and plugin releases needing the no-WP tweak, so I simply try to obfuscate as much as I can any WP trace without changing at all the code as I did in the past.

So, yes, I have a custom login page with no WP logo, and embedded into the actual theme. which also prevents potential hacking/spamming attacks, as it is impossible to access it via wp-login, nor wp-admin for the admin dashboard.

Edited by MyDigitalpoint

If what @Cereal Killer said above is exactly what OP means, then I think I would like to know the trick to that and apply it in few of my websites. 

You can do it with easy downloading a plugin expressly made for this purpose. 

Personally I use S8 Custom login and registration. This plugin allows me to change the URL, remove the WP logo from the login/register/reset password page, and, best of all, including those forms into any theme rather than as a stand-alone page, default WordPress behavior for these processes.

However there are other plugins for the same purpose so you can find one that suits better your needs, just run a plugin search for "custom login"

Another way to change login URLs is working directly on your .htaccess file, but you need the know how to play with this.

Alternatively you could create a security layer by making those authorised to access your admin page go through verification before reaching the admin page. In your wp-admin folder create an .htaccess file and put the following codes:

ErrorDocument 401 "Unauthorized"
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Setuix Solutions Authorization"
AuthUserFile /link/to/your/website/folder/wp-admin/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

Then create a .htpasswd file in /link/to/your/website/folder/wp-admin/.htpasswd and get your username and password generated here - http://www.htaccesstools.com/htpasswd-generator/

Now only people with the username and password will be able to access your admin page.

I have a blog that people are trying to hack all of the time. Instead of changing my WP admin page, I just put a captcha on it as a third level of protection. I also put on the "log in limit" plug-in. The most any person can try to log in to the site is six times, then the IP gets blocked.

However this has been my problem @GeeCee, it seems that no captcha plugin is actually working with the login/registration pages but only with comments, which is not as important to be than it could be the login page.

Maybe I should revert the setting to the original WordPress login page, but I can't stand the "wp-" prefix of it.

I know how to get rid of the files/directory prefix, but it involves considerable time to get it working as all plugins and "wp-" references have to be rewritten, but I don't have plenty of time to do this as I used to do in the past.

You may wonder why I should remove the "wp-" prefix. No reason at all but hating WordPress saying this is free source code and enforcing the use of such prefix as a silent branding that gives them control over who is using the software for statistical purposes towards monetizing this.

I'd rather prefer an unbranded solution and the option to pay for the license, if money is what they want.