• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patryk9595

Install Mac OS X on PC

14 posts in this topic

Hey, Is there any safe way to install Mac OS X on my PC. I've been looking for some information on the internet, but everytime they say it's risky, and drivers don't work. And also, when I buy Mac OS X, and install it on a PC, can I still use it legally, or it must be installed on MacBook?

The current OSX versions are designed to run on Intel chipsets, so there's no need for black magic anymore. However the thing is that since Apple has very strict policies on what hardware they test and sell, you're most likely going to run into issues if your specs differ from those that Apple sells since there's zero to none driver support in the scale of what for example Windows products have.

On the legality I can't really say anything, but since you're only able to purchase OSX installation from App Store which is only available on a Mac...

All in all, it doesn't make that much sense, just use Windows version of your choosing adn you'll get a much more stable and user-friendly experience altogether.

I've always been wondering how I could do it with my PC as well. But I also found some people who have managed to do this. They have turned some HP laptop into an OSX but there are a lot of coding involve and hacking as well. I don't really recommend it but I know it's possible.

Is this just an intellectual pursuit, or are you trying to gain some actual utility from this? If you're just having fun, I say go for it! If you depend on this machine, I recommend not trying this and saving yourself a lot of trouble. While I think you could get it running without much hassle, actually getting it to work properly will be a world of fun.

If you want to turn your computer into a Mac, I'm not sure how you're going to proceed with that because most people have Hackintoshs' when it comes to have a Mac on a PC. However, you can use an alternate solution by creating a VM and installing the Mac OS X on that.

I don't really understand why you would want to, Windows is by far the superior OS. That's just my opinion though.

PC's with Mac installed are known as "Hackintoshes" - if you're really interested in installing OS X for some reason be sure to read a compatibility guide such as this one as not all computers are compatible, and it would be a shame for you to waste your time for nothing. If your PC looks like it will be compatible, then there are a number of different ways to install OS X like Unibeast and Niresh. I recommend looking into them if you're still interested, it actually doesn't seem as complicated as I was thinking. 

Of course there are a lot of risks, Apple make own operation system for own product. If you make a sandwitch for you and somebody else eat it, you get mad right ? Same thing happend with Apple and Mac OS drivers . Apple does not want anyone else to eat it sandwich .

I recommend looking into them if you're still interested, it actually doesn't seem as complicated as I was thinking. 

​It's not as bad as it was back in the PowerPC times since then there was a need to compile the whole thing for x86 so it wasn't as easy, but now when Macs also use Intel components there's one less barrier to fight with.

But the usual problem are the drivers - or well, lack of them - so I would also just suggest OP to use Windows if they want to actually use their computer for something. But for a learning experience I guess it could make sense, but in that case just throw it into a VM box.

I think there's a way to do it without having to change any bits of hardware on your PC, but it's a bit like a Linux Distribution installation. It was originally built for Mac but they tweak a little with it and they name it something else, then they offer it for free. I don't think it's legal though, so I prefer to stay away from it. I also wouldn't recommend to do it, because if your computer gets messed up, you basically would ruin the warranty, due to the changes in your computer that were used to support an illegal product, or perhaps, something illegal. So be careful.

I am with the film industry and our office needed more computers for video editing using Final Cut which runs in a Mac. We only have 2 Macs so we experimented on installing the Final Cut in a pc. It did not run well so our next step was to convert a pc into a mac. But it did not run well either. And so as not to waste too much of my time, I just advised our boss to banish that idea and instead just buy another Mac when our budget permits.

I get so stressed out with technical problems involving compatibility. That's one reason why my home computer is still running on XP because I couldn't resolve the compatibility issue of the old programs with W7.

Myself and a friend built a "Hackintosh" a few years ago. Unfortunately the results were less than stellar, the machine was incredibly slow. While it did work, and we even managed to code our first iOS app on it, it just wasn't a great experience. Eventually we just splashed out on proper iMacs and could finally work efficiently.

It's possible, but I don't recommend you to do it, it's not that easy, it may work fine for you but it will be so slow as it may not works completly fine, you may lose few things like sound etc ... because OS X is designed to be run on Macbooks and Apple devices ...

Personally I think installing Linux on a PC is a better idea than turning the PC into a Hackintosh.  Linux tends to run better on PCs than OS X tends to run on them.  You can also just run Linux right beside your Windows OS or just have Linux installed on your PC.  Linux is made for PCs where OS X is really not meant to run on PCs.  

Meh. Unix is Unix is Unix. The distinction between a Mac and a PC at the hardware level is more of a marketing thing ever since Apple started using the same hardware. Other than limited driver support it really isn't that big of a deal anymore. That and Apple not wanting people to do it. I know there are wide variations in form and function between just various Linux distributions, let alone BSD. Just keep in mind that Mac OS X is a Unix derivative and it all runs on Intel hardware now.