• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sunflogun

RIP Internet Explorer

82 posts in this topic

I am guessing that Internet Explorer will not be missed, but at the same time it will leave some nostalgia among older users. Internet Explorer is dead and Microsoft has made a new browser that will be launched with Windows 10. Let's hope it's a better one! :D 

ad_163277455.jpg

Aw, so this means we won't get any more of the "Happy New Year 2010 -Sent via Internet Explorer" jokes? :P

Seriously speaking though, I hope Microsoft tries hard this time. They already have a bad rep since eternity regarding browsers (sorry IE). Any idea what's the new browser called?

Edited by d4rk3n

Well it is truly sad too see one of the first ever internet browsers disappear, but I wont miss it. Internet Explorer never really worked on my computers anyway. However, when they get this new browser out I would like to give it a download and test it out!

Internet Explorers was like one of the very first web browsers on the internet, ever made. It is upsetting to see something old have to be demolished and not opened anymore, but it's for the best. Internet Explorer never really worked on any of my computers or devices anyway...

This is the first I have heard regarding this news. So, I am actually quite excited about the new internet browser. I would like to be one of the first people to actually install this new internet browser, but I am sure it will be another year or so before they come out with it. EEK, cannot wait!

I heard the new browser is called Microsoft Edge. It looks revolutionary, and I really hope Microsoft can deliver. The whole world will be watching and if there are any serious problems Microsofts credibility in Internet browsing will be essentially ruined. I hope the software is easy to modify and play around with because that is what has spurred on the massive success of chrome and Firefox. 

No idea on the new browser name, but amazingly surprised with Internet Explorer 10, which resulted to be better than Google Chrome.

Seriously, when Chrome is lagging and you can see a tab running and arrow counterclockwise, IE 10 loads the same URL in no time. Similarly, once loaded, Chrome shows off the page as seen first, no matter that you have a extension to avoid keep cache copies, or another to clean up the storage, cookies, history and else. 

Chrome keeps showing the old page, while IE 10 updates immediately the same. Happened to me testing changes on my site.  

I'm not saying  that Internet Explorer is better than Chrome because it isn't, but improved too much since IE 6 to IE 9.

Actually Chromium-based browser are way too much better, but as long as they are not branded "Google" (i.e. SRware Iron, Commodo Dragon, etc.) same as Opera, perhaps the faster, but still not yet totally cross-browser compliant. 

It is sad to hear this unfortunate news. I am nostalgic and cannot just forget the good ol' days. But from the moment I encountered Firefox, Internet Explorer suddenly became my second choice when opening up a browser. Too bad it comes to this point they have to trash out this wonderful browser. Why not just let it be and still comes out with a new and improved one?

It is sad to see internet explorer go, While it's got good and bad points, I definitely think it's served a lot of people well over the years, so it certainly the end of an era.

The problem now is that whatever does replace it will have to be very good indeed, as it will always now be compared to internet explorer 10, which to me, was probably one of the best browsers ever made.

Edited by pwarbi

Pardon me but it is a brutal title for this thread. I have a soft spot for IE since it was my first browser. I remember there were only 2 choices - IE and Netscape. But I learned internet with IE. However, my browser now is Firefox, waheehee. But I still do not discount the presence of IE.

No idea on the new browser name, but amazingly surprised with Internet Explorer 10, which resulted to be better than Google Chrome.

Seriously, when Chrome is lagging and you can see a tab running and arrow counterclockwise, IE 10 loads the same URL in no time. Similarly, once loaded, Chrome shows off the page as seen first, no matter that you have a extension to avoid keep cache copies, or another to clean up the storage, cookies, history and else. 

Chrome keeps showing the old page, while IE 10 updates immediately the same. Happened to me testing changes on my site.  

I'm not saying  that Internet Explorer is better than Chrome because it isn't, but improved too much since IE 6 to IE 9.

Actually Chromium-based browser are way too much better, but as long as they are not branded "Google" (i.e. SRware Iron, Commodo Dragon, etc.) same as Opera, perhaps the faster, but still not yet totally cross-browser compliant. 

​I am feeling the same thing with Chrome, what is disappointing to say the least. Chrome used to be my nº1 one browser, but lately I've been using Firefox. Chrome accumulates a lot of processes, don't know if that makes it slow? As for IE, good move to make it go.

Yes, Chrome is sometimes so slow that I have to double check my Internet connection thinking something is wrong with it  but not.

Chrome is also noted for privacy concerns, as read on the SRware Iron chromium-based browser site,  http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

I like this browser because is similar to Chrome but without the drawbacks, only that the last updated caused me some problems that I'm uncertain if are coming from this browser or have something to do with Chrome trying to take over it in search processes.

Firefox has never been of my liking because I feel it is also slow at start up, and had some cross browser compliance issues using this when designing websites in the past.

Awww this is really sad to hear. It wasn't the best browser out there but it was one of the firsts and I have so much nostalgic feelings with it. It's like a childhood toy having to be taken away from you after it just being on your shelves and it's sad even if you don't play with it anymore. 

I hope Windows does a better job now, though. And I never knew they had a new browser. Hope that turns out well for everyone!

Yes, Chrome is sometimes so slow that I have to double check my Internet connection thinking something is wrong with it  but not.

Chrome is also noted for privacy concerns, as read on the SRware Iron chromium-based browser site,  http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

I like this browser because is similar to Chrome but without the drawbacks, only that the last updated caused me some problems that I'm uncertain if are coming from this browser or have something to do with Chrome trying to take over it in search processes.

Firefox has never been of my liking because I feel it is also slow at start up, and had some cross browser compliance issues using this when designing websites in the past.

It's the first time I am hearing about this browser MyDigital. I was looking online for it and also in that link you provided and it seems good indeed. Have you been using it for long? As for Firefox, sure, it might depend on the job we need to do with it.

Aw, so this means we won't get any more of the "Happy New Year 2010 -Sent via Internet Explorer" jokes? :P

Seriously speaking though, I hope Microsoft tries hard this time. They already have a bad rep since eternity regarding browsers (sorry IE). Any idea what's the new browser called?

​I always see that joke circulating the net. Haha! Aww, sad to see them go. However, they really started to re-do their whole browser program since people don't really use IE for their browsing needs these days. As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, it's called Microsoft Edge. I hope they get make it real awesome so it can compete with Firefox/Chrome, since that's the browser most people use now.

Probably a good move, I don't think even technologically limited people were using IE at this point. Let's hope for the best. 

I'm glad internet explorer is dying. The only thing I have use it for is to download firefox and chrome. It often opens when installing some programs that ignore the default browser setting but that's about it.

I do home the new browser is a major improvement.

Good riddance! I do not regret a wee bit. I experienced hell with IE6 as I could not code box shadows and rounded corners and the rendering was miserable. Even IE7 was no good at all. I'm glad it's dying at last. Btw, it's bad technology that I'm despising and not trying to hurt anyone's sentiments and attachment with IE. 

​It's the first time I am hearing about this browser MyDigital. I was looking online for it and also in that link you provided and it seems good indeed. Have you been using it for long? As for Firefox, sure, it might depend on the job we need to do with it.

​I'm using SRware Iron since sometime around 2010 and 2011 after beginning to have issues with Chrome and needing to have installed on a USB flash memory too, as those were days I needed to work on the go and Chrome can't be installed onto USB sticks.

There is a portable app version of Chrome, but this still leaves trace and files in whatever computer you use the USB, not really what I wanted. SRware Iron have a portable version that can be unzipped directly either on the USB or the computer itself to get it running and storing files in the same location the main program is, which is a good option if you are uncertain to run the installation package  that chooses by default the Windows Programs directory.

I tried other three Chromium-based browsers before making my decision for SRware Iron hands down.

The first was Rockmelt, as sort of Google Chrome-like browser but with pre-installed social network apps, too much bloat. Yahoo recently bought this browser and it offline, but information can be still found here, http://www.rockmelt.com/

The second would be plain and simple Chromium, which is the bare source code of Google Chrome, available at the developers' site, http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

And the last is Comodo Dragon browser, which is faster than Chrome but wanting to be a safe option, includes additional features that equally can slow down your surfing time, https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

Internet Explorer won't disappear per se, it will just be labeled under a new, more-catchy name is all and be redesigned. I totally agree with Microsoft's decision to do some changements with this browser, as it hasn't run on profit for a very long time, but I'm still surprised that it took them so long to see how bad people think of IE. I'm expecting to see some changements in the future. :)

You know, I never would have thought that I'd ever completely just drop Internet Explorer and use either Chrome or Firefox in my life. But that was until I discovered just how much faster, convenient and flat out better both Chrome and Firefox are. I went on and completely forgot about Internet Explorer, its slow processing and just being a browser that trails. I really don't care whether Microsoft comes out with something else because I won't use it unless it's groundbreaking. Leave the memories alone, Internet Explorer. RIP.

​It's the first time I am hearing about this browser MyDigital. I was looking online for it and also in that link you provided and it seems good indeed. Have you been using it for long? As for Firefox, sure, it might depend on the job we need to do with it.

​I'm using SRware Iron since sometime around 2010 and 2011 after beginning to have issues with Chrome and needing to have installed on a USB flash memory too, as those were days I needed to work on the go and Chrome can't be installed onto USB sticks.

There is a portable app version of Chrome, but this still leaves trace and files in whatever computer you use the USB, not really what I wanted. SRware Iron have a portable version that can be unzipped directly either on the USB or the computer itself to get it running and storing files in the same location the main program is, which is a good option if you are uncertain to run the installation package  that chooses by default the Windows Programs directory.

I tried other three Chromium-based browsers before making my decision for SRware Iron hands down.

The first was Rockmelt, as sort of Google Chrome-like browser but with pre-installed social network apps, too much bloat. Yahoo recently bought this browser and it offline, but information can be still found here, http://www.rockmelt.com/

The second would be plain and simple Chromium, which is the bare source code of Google Chrome, available at the developers' site, http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

And the last is Comodo Dragon browser, which is faster than Chrome but wanting to be a safe option, includes additional features that equally can slow down your surfing time, https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

​Now I am feeling even more confident to try that browser after all the scrutiny you made to get to it! :) Basically we just use the browser that suits better our specific needs and the same goes for OSs. For example, I am currently using a firefox extension that only runs on windows, so that limits me a lot.

@rightct, let's see what they bring, I hope it's not simply a relabel... 

One thing I missed to say is that SRware Iron is totally compatible with Google Chrome, what means that you can connect with your Gmail account to synchronize it and never lose your bookmarks, extensions, apps, chosen themes (if any) and settings.

Similarly, you can gain access to Chrome Web Store and install whatever extension, app or theme of your choice, whether using the built-in link (which leads to a branded version of such store) or directly from https://chrome.google.com/webstore

As for Internet Explorer changing face under different label, would be interesting to see indeed, but knowing it would be to me an alternative to use from time to time, doubtfully a full-time web browser again.

Edited by MyDigitalpoint

Well actually who will real miss MSIE? The pitty is that we won't see any more meme about how MSIE sucks :P

I don't think I will miss Internet explorer at all. My best browser will remain to be chrome. For some reason, I don't understand why Microsoft keep failing in small task such as browser and phones, maybe they are concentrating too much on bigger projects. 

One thing I missed to say is that SRware Iron is totally compatible with Google Chrome, what means that you can connect with your Gmail account to synchronize it and never lose your bookmarks, extensions, apps, chosen themes (if any) and settings.

Similarly, you can gain access to Chrome Web Store and install whatever extension, app or theme of your choice, whether using the built-in link (which leads to a branded version of such store) or directly from https://chrome.google.com/webstore

As for Internet Explorer changing face under different label, would be interesting to see indeed, but knowing it would be to me an alternative to use from time to time, doubtfully a full-time web browser again.

​Well, I think most of us change browsers or software according to our needs, so I am not changing just because. I will take a look sure, after all it's from Microsoft, but I am not eager to see it come out as I have my needs satisfied with the current offers of existing browsers.

I havent used internet explorer for years so it doesn't bother me that it's dead. I am excited to see this new browser though.