• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BradR

Google Chrome or Firefox?

89 posts in this topic

I've been using Google Chrome for years now and I've had no problems at all but I recently came across FireFox (I already knew about it) and have been using it for the past month and honestly, I'm finding it much faster than Chrome. I still have Chrome installed as I find there's no point in deleting it, but, I'm starting to think Firefox is better. Thoughts? Firefox or Google Chrome?

From my personal experience of using both, I would go with chrome without thinking twice. Not sure if its my PC, but Mozilla is always slow whenever I am using it.

Mozilla was fine in those days, when it was the only option after explorer. 

I use Chrome for quickies, and FireFox for long browsing sessions. I find Chrome faster and lighter, but Firefox a lot more convenient for my uses. It has a huge selection of addons and its interface is much easier for me to use and configure than Chrome's. So, for regular normal users like me, it really doesn't make that much of a difference, it's just a matter of preference.

From my experience, chrome seems to be a bit faster than firefox, though I stick with firefox after all (as it's the default browser on Ubuntu)

I've seen several vulnerabilities that only worked in chrome and firefox is also open source meaning the creators can't put in anything 'sneaky' with making the users notice, so those aspects will also make me like firefox more.

I think that they both offer the same functions for everyday users, though for 'advanced users' I'm pretty sure firefox would offer more so yeah, basically you can use chrome without problem, though firefox is at least as nice as chrome.

I used Firefox before until I discovered and tried Google Chrome out. I find Google Chrome faster to use but I don't know if that's just me. But I don't find anything wrong with Firefox either, both browsers are good enough to use.

I had the bad idea to re-install again Google Chrome and every day is worst and worst, just as most Google products and services are going now, resulting from  their ambition to be Jack of all trades, but master of none.

Firefox has never liked me, too slow at startup, to bare when it comes to interface.

I like Opera, feeling this is the faster browser ever, but having cross-browser compliance issued still to date.

Therefore, and formerly liking me Google Chrome look, feel and performance, nowadays I prefer non-Google browsers developed upon the Chromium open source, with SRware Iron as my favorite among all.

I have to say I'm a Google chrome man myself. While it is pretty big, and takes up a lot more space than all the other browsers, I've never had any problems with it. On all android devices now, it comes already installed, so I've tended to just stick with it.

I have used other browsers in the past, and while some of them do give you more features than chrome does, I think as a browser, it's very hard to beat.

I personally prefer Firefox. It's more convenient and faster for me. I use Google Chrome at work and it's a great browser, I can say that. It's also very fast and smooth. But, I somehow prefer Firefox.

My laptop came with both chrome and firefox installed, but I have never opened chrome out of my own will. You will only find chrome tabs open on my laptop when I click a link that is tailored to connect using chrome.

It is not that I have something against the browser, it is just that I have been using Firefox for so long and I am better familiar with its features.

I've been using FireFox for the longest time. FireFox was always slow to start for me but syncing was appealing. When Chrome came up with syncing using Gmail, I made the switch and never looked back. Linux Mint DE comes with FireFox pre-installed but the first thing I do is get Chrome on it.

The fact that I can run 2 different accounts with Chrome is awesome. I can have both my work email which is managed by Google business app and my personal account open at the same time. I have 2 different browsers open along with all the bookmarks. How awesome is that?

Here is my question. Chrome cannot access Facebook in my home computer because it said that Facebook is HTTPS or secured. Okay, granted. But why does Chrome in my office able to access Facebook? I cannot find any difference in the setting. But it's like that since months ago.

​Would be best to open a new thread under support for that but try this before you do. Open Chrome in incognito and navigate to https://www.facebook.com, see what happens.

I think it's a personal issue. I think it is what a person prefers because I have used both Firefox and Chrome and to be honest I like them both a lot, while Chrome and Firefox are very similar in terms of functionality, I just stick with Chrome because some applications I like on it and plugins that wouldn't be necessarily found on Firefox, eventhough you can probably find an alternative. I just think it's subjective in the end. I would say also that Project Spartan or Microsoft Edge once it comes out, it might be my favourite, who knows!

I always use Google Chrome. Using Android, I find it useful that all my passwords, bookmarks, history, recent searches are synced everywhere in my Google account. It's actually the only reason why I prefer Chrome, makes it easier for me.

I thought there was no difference between Chrome and Firefox but after using Firefox a lot then downloading Chrome and using that for a short amount of time, I can already say that Chrome is better. I have no idea how Chrome is on phones though (some say it's quite slow) but one desktop, Chrome is probably the best. The speed and the simplicity is what I really like. The interface is really nice to. I can't really go back to Firefox now that I've seen how amazing Chrome is.

Chrome does leech most of the physical and virtual memory if you have too many tabs open. It also has anti-malware protection enabled by default which consumes a lot of processor cycles. I use chrome as certain plugins don't work with firefox. I must say FF has been my favorite browser since long. 

Google seriously needs to fix some of the Chrome issues. Lifehacker published some tips for chrome users, to improve performance and high memory usage. You can google it.

I am not sure about others, but Google Chrome runs far better on my PC than Firefox. All the pages load much faster in this browser. That's why I am not going  back to Firefox ever. 

I am a fan of Google so I stick to Chrome. I have had to use Firefox in the past for various reasons, but Chrome is always a staple for me. It just seems to run smoother and faster on the computer I use.

I use Google Chrome because a long time ago (not that long) it seemed like the better option as it fully suported html5 and youtube videos were playing in vp9, which was a big deal for me at that time because of really bad internet conectivity. Nowadays I think Firefox would be just as good, but I am so used to Chrome that I don't think I will switch. That said, I do also have Firefox installed.

I am going to go with Google chrome here seeing as Firefox is slower on my computer and is kind of hard to navigate. I do use Firefox occasionally but Chrome will be my favorite for the near future. 

Until now, this nagging issue of Chrome and Facebook is still bothering me. I really cannot find a good explanation why Facebook runs in my office Chrome while it does not in my home Chrome.

But anyway, with that imprimatur above, it is obvious that Firefox is my best bet over Chrome... and the dying IE.

Chrome, Firefox, or IE are the only real options unfortunately. Most other browsers do not use their own engines. I believe Opera is still using the same layout engine as Chrome. I am using Chrome and have been almost exclusively for a long time. 

I'm not too sure about Chrome being slower than Firefox because the main reason I switched to Chrome was for it's performance. After using Chrome, I realized how much faster and smoother the performance was the Firefox is. Back to the question on Firefox or chrome? Definitely Chrome.

I hate Chrome because their privacy policy is pretty much leaned toward third party companies, but I hate Firefox even more because once you install it you are pretty much left with trying to figure out why Youtube doesn't work, for example, haha. Chrome comes packed with everything you need in order to fully explore the Internet, whereas Firefox doesn't do this, which is really bad. I wonder how they have such a big user base in spite of this particular aspect. 

.Chrome comes packed with everything you need in order to fully explore the Internet, whereas Firefox doesn't do this, which is really bad. I wonder how they have such a big user base in spite of this particular aspect. 

Actually this isn't true. Chrome is a lighter weight faster browser than Firefox. Chrome wont be supporting NPAPI plugins very soon. 

I personally enjoy using Mozilla Firefox myself. I love Mozilla Firefox for several reasons such as it runs fast, flash works really well. So there are plenty of reasons to why I enjoy Mozilla Firefox. I dislike Google Chrome because it doesn't really work for me, and it runs so slow. The reason I chose my answer would be because Mozilla Firefox is just the one that works the best for me.

I use both of them, but to be honest I use Google Chrome only for online banking (I also used it for booking appointments to see the doctor, but it stopped workig, so back to using IE for that only). I use Firebox for absolutely everything else :)  Web surfing, watching videos, movies, etc. 

But if I was asked which one of the 3 I'd pick... then I'd surely say Firefox!  I must admit I used IE for very long, then switched to Firefox out of need, at first I didn't like it much, but now I can't imagine going back to having IE as my main browser.

I  like Firefox most, I really don't know why, maybe because the design looks more user friendly and it seems way easier to keep my bookmarks organized (not as cool as IE in that sense tho, because for me it was more easy to handle my bookmarks over there).  I think all browsers have their adventages and disadventages, that is why I have IE, Firefox and Chrome installed; because some browsers are better for certain things.  If you can have all 3, then why not? xD

Chrome does leech most of the physical and virtual memory if you have too many tabs open. It also has anti-malware protection enabled by default which consumes a lot of processor cycles. I use chrome as certain plugins don't work with firefox. I must say FF has been my favorite browser since long. 

Google seriously needs to fix some of the Chrome issues. Lifehacker published some tips for chrome users, to improve performance and high memory usage. You can google it.

I was told about the built-in anti - malware protection a while ago Chrome offers :)  I thought it was awesome, and that is why I liked the idea of using that browser to bank online.  But I only use it for that, because I had noticed this browser leeches memory really bad. But I guess that is the price you got to pay in order to browse the internet safely.   Still that is not enough for me, that is why I use Firefox most xD  It's and will probably always be my main browser.

Edited by zero
Merged. Do not post consecutively.