• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
damien

Netflix starting to show ads?

18 posts in this topic

Netflix, as we all know, is a paid service, but according to TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/01/netflix-no-third-party-ads/) they started to test showing teasers of their own shows before and after movies. Now that I could get, but could it lead to advertising? Sure they, like any other company, do little tests all the time and many things never get fully implemented, but while they say that no ads will be coming, will that really be the trught in the long run. Didn't they already bump up the prices before?

Didn't they already bump up the prices before?

​Yea, they bumped the price up and introduced tier pricing as well. If you want HD, you pay more. If they're going to throw ads in, then they can go screw themselves. End of the day, users decide if they want to use the service if they show ads. We can't really stop them from doing what they please with their service. They just have to accept the consequences.

I don't like where Netflix is going with this. I pay for movie and TV show streaming, with 0 ads. That includes ads for Netflix's own original content. If I want to watch any of their stuff, then I will, as I don't need Netflix to coerce me to do so. @zero has the right idea. The userbase decides this in the end. I can deal with one now and then, but if it got bad enough that I saw an ad every two episodes, I'd cancel.

I think if it's gone that far to the point where the prices go up, and ads are on, it shows a little bit of greed towards that. I think they don't really need ads but they get paid for it clearly and probably make money off of subscriptions by increasing the price up really high and getting some advertisers to take advantage of how many viewers there are by paying Netflix. I think it will be such a downside to users and perhaps will try and move on to another network. It is always projects that are introduced to companies, sooner or later they will realize if it was profitable or a failure. 

The ad's are the most frustrating part of such websites. It gets frustrating especially because its a paid service; youtube being a free service it is still tolerable. They make their money from advertisements and frankly if we want them to get rid of the ads completely they will want us to pay more for it. 

Surely the advertising should subsidise the cost of the service then if they're going to start that? I don't mind what Netflix do to be honest, I think it's a decent service and the price is pretty reasonable as it stands.

If they are going to start showing adverts then I'd expect that price to stay as it is, or even come down but I think we all now that a price drop will probably never happen.

I am not fond of movies so Netflix is not for me. But when I visited my nephew in Hongkong, he's got a subscription because he is a movie addict. He showed me the mechanics of how to select movies in the genre that I like and then the download. He said that Netflix is a legal way of watching copyrighted movies. So now I wonder why this thread - it has ads now contrary to the claim that it is a paid site so ads should not be there.

I think that customers should have the option of ads and get the service a a discounted price. I have Netflix, but I don't really watch a lot of it. I use it mostly so my kids can watch shows and movies on their phones. I prefer to use Showbox anyway because the movies are newer and there are updates everyday.

As long as it isn't during a show, I don't really have a problem with it. But I agree, people should be able to pay more to skip the ads. 

it's supposed that we pay for cable TV or online streaming services to get rid of ads or commercials that otherwise are served when it comes to free services or open TV,  but this is not really a new practice at all.

I remember to have my father really annoyed when Cablevision began to air commercials in between movies or TV shows.  While there was a controversy resulting from this "informative add-on" someone said that if you go to the movies theater to pay for ticket that includes advertising time, why you shouldn't for your cable TV.

However, and into my own shoes, I would simply cancel my Netflix subscriptions and move on. There are many ways to watch your favorite shows without advertising and even without paying for cable services because people upload them to YouTube over and over, even if the get their accounts suspended every now and then.

I honestly don't remember cable ever being commercial free. There were special premium networks that only ran their own advertising or bumps during breaks but that was it. The advantage of cable was having access to decent number of channels that came in clearly and the ability to pay extra for premium networks. The advertising is how the stations and networks pay for content, your subscription fee was for the cable company to bring it all together for you without the need for an outdoor antenna and having to adjust it for different stations.  The exception being when cable companies began selling their own advertising to air in place of network advertising. Other wise it was never truly commercial free. There a host of limitations and laws to deal with especially with your local networks advertising. They can not block the ads meant for your market on a network without special agreements and they can't always show ads outside of your market.

As for Netflix, I don't mind some limited advertising for their own content over their own medium.They have some interesting content of their own from time to time and I don't mind being made aware of it. What I would mind is broadcast style advertising in shows similar to Hulu. I don't want to be annoyed with the drug company, automobile, and other product ads that saturate media everywhere else.

As for Netflix, I don't mind some limited advertising for their own content over their own medium.They have some interesting content of their own from time to time and I don't mind being made aware of it. What I would mind is broadcast style advertising in shows similar to Hulu. I don't want to be annoyed with the drug company, automobile, and other product ads that saturate media everywhere else.

I suppose everyone has their own tolerance level. If ads were to be shown I would expect to get the service at a lower price. They are probably doing whatever they can to increase profitability. Alarm bells must be ringing in Netflix office if this article is to be trusted - http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/netflix-profit-down-subscribers-grow/139958.

I think YouTube's advertising is really smart. Full ad at the beginning of a video with the option to skip after 5 seconds. I have to admit that some advertisements are really catchy and I find myself watching it but I have only ever clicked it once... some ad about getting great abs!

While I still find the YouTube adverts annoying, especially when your wanting to watch something quick, I do think that's probably a good compromise. If the advertising interests you then you can watch it, if not then adding the skip button is a fair way of doing it I guess.

if Netflix brought in something like that then I don't think too many people would mind, especially seeing as there's no chance of them lowering the price, I think that would be fair enough all round.

Not that into the idea myself. I guess it's tolerable with a skip button and as long as they don't interrupt the viewing, as in they're only in the beginning. Unfortunately Netflix is the only source for movies and shows for me so I'm sort of depending on it right now. I guess I might look into competing services if they are added and they annoy me, but I doubt the selection for most of them is as wide.

It's understandable from a business standpoint that they need to do something to decreasing profit. They just haven't done anything to earn my loyalty.

I just hope they never turn into the mess that HuluPlus is. I may as well just use a DVR because other than catching up on stuff that may or may not be on Netflix it isn't worth the fee.

I'm so used to using my DVR and skipping ads that when I do watch them, other than a very rare one, they annoy the heck out of me. I don't currently have Netflix, but I had it for years, and hope to have it again in the future. I sure hope this isn't the case. The last time I had it, they had just started original programming, and I believe they would show ads for that occasionally, which I didn't mind, but I sure wouldn't want to watch the drivel that is played on regular television. I loved Netflix and have a positive opinion of them even though they raised their prices slightly, and I hope they don't sully that with tons of ads. 

I guess one could go to a DVD subscription instead. That is pricey and slow though.

I just hope they never turn into the mess that HuluPlus is. I may as well just use a DVR because other than catching up on stuff that may or may not be on Netflix it isn't worth the fee.

I like Hulu Plus. There are LOTS of classic movies that aren't on Netflix and you can watch them commercial-free. I've already put our home subscription to good use: I rewatched Tarkovsky's "Solaris" and watched Wenders' "Alice in the cities" and last night, Costa-Gavras' "Z". 

The listings are seemingly random and slow, and they change slightly everytime you press the back button, so it's fairly annoying, but if you just use the search (our TV has a remote with a keyboard, fortunately) you can find things quickly. I usually go directly to the ample selection of Criterion movies. There are many, many masterpieces in there.