• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Alexandoy

Reasons for slow pc

44 posts in this topic

@Alexandoy Nope. It is more work than launching defrag and walking away and there is absolutely no guarantee the data would be written in contiguous order. Besides, it would need to be defragmented very soon after if it is fat32. Windows XP with fat32 is an exception to what I said about not running defrag. It actually needs to be defragmented on a schedule. The first defrag may take a while but if you set it up to run automatically at night once a week subsequent defrag sessions will take less time.

@Alexandoy Nope. It is more work than launching defrag and walking away and there is absolutely no guarantee the data would be written in contiguous order. Besides, it would need to be defragmented very soon after if it is fat32. Windows XP with fat32 is an exception to what I said about not running defrag. It actually needs to be defragmented on a schedule. The first defrag may take a while but if you set it up to run automatically at night once a week subsequent defrag sessions will take less time.

I get your point about the need to defrag FAT32. But with the large storage now - 500 gb  for my system disk, it's not really dragging my system that much. My data files are on the other 500 gb to lessen the load of my system disk and I feel that defragging is not an issue anymore. In fact, the last time I defragged was... I don't really remember.

Thanks for replying to my posts, those bits of knowledge are greatly appreciated.

1. You set up a program that is not capable with your os. Easy remove it. It will keep orphan information. These build up after some time.

2. You have way too many programs all trying to use the storage you have available. Easy turn off some of the programs. OR buy more storage.

3. Your program computer registry has become very large, this will defiantly slowly down you pc. Not so simple. Modifying the program computer registry needs more knowledge.

4. You have download files of a lot of music, video clips and films from the internet. Your pc is slowly because it is distribute out everywhere. You need to arrange this. How program defrag, which will shift everything into awesome and clean categories on your hard drive for easier access.

5. You might have a malware, please tell me you have an anti-virus program on your pc. If not get one instantly. This is crucial these days.

6. Your e-mail program is bombarded. Yes I have this problem, like keeping old characters, and wedding credit cards. Your program keeps trying to connect your e-mail. Generally shift around to make more area. Until you get rid of some of the e-mail it will constantly do this. Re-locate of the program, maybe save to my records or put on a hard drive. Then deliver to the Remove computer file and then delete all e-mail in the Remove Directory. I had one client that would delete from mailbox, but not from delete folder, over 4,000 e-mails that were just eating up area and storage.

@fairplay007 Unneeded registry entries don't slow your computer down and there is no need to shrink the size of your registry. There are hundreds of thousands of entries in your registry. Windows isn't slowed down or even affected by registry keys left over by uninstalled programs.  Individual registry entries are small. You could remove several thousand entries and not affect the size of it or how long it takes windows to access information in it. Back in the days of Windows 95, tiny amounts of memory, and slower hard drives a smaller registry could have made a fractional difference in performance. That isn't the case today. There simply are not any legitimate benchmarks showing a performance boost from cleaning the registry on modern machines. This is a left over practice from older technology. It is another one of those PC performance myths that just wont seem to die.  

If you are using computer that is 10 or even 15 years old and you have an original Windows installation that has had several thousand of programs installed and uninstalled over the last 10 or 15 years you might benefit from a smaller registry size. This computer would also need to have a fairly small amount of RAM for it to matter. 

@fairplay007 Unneeded registry entries don't slow your computer down and there is no need to shrink the size of your registry. There are hundreds of thousands of entries in your registry. Windows isn't slowed down or even affected by registry keys left over by uninstalled programs.  Individual registry entries are small. You could remove several thousand entries and not affect the size of it or how long it takes windows to access information in it. Back in the days of Windows 95, tiny amounts of memory, and slower hard drives a smaller registry could have made a fractional difference in performance. That isn't the case today. There simply are not any legitimate benchmarks showing a performance boost from cleaning the registry on modern machines. This is a left over practice from older technology. It is another one of those PC performance myths that just wont seem to die.  

If you are using computer that is 10 or even 15 years old and you have an original Windows installation that has had several thousand of programs installed and uninstalled over the last 10 or 15 years you might benefit from a smaller registry size. This computer would also need to have a fairly small amount of RAM for it to matter. 

Cleaning unneeded registry entry might fix some issues that maybe you will encounter in the future while using/installing new software tough. It just happened today with a client that came to me complainnig about a software that was behaving in a weird matter and after cleaning the registry all was fixed. This small tip doesn't really concern about getting the PC faster but I would recommend a registry cleaning somewhen.

@dantech Removing or changing an incorrect registry value is certainly something that should be done if the key value is causing problems installing or running something. I have never relied on a registry cleaner to do this this however. I don't like using a shotgun approach on a problem if a precision instrument is available.  If I knew enough to diagnose it as a registry issue I usually knew how find and correct it manually. For example, I have had to make registry changes to get software to run in wine and I have also had to make registry changes in the manual removal of certain types of malware. As a general tip for speeding a computer up however registry cleaning programs are useless.

Edited by nytegeek

That's something I don't mess with, the registry. I consider myself a relatively advanced user, but I don't go that far because I am afraid of making even a bigger mess. 

Methinks it's an issue of obsoleteness. The fact your computer runs XP makes me think it's preponderantly because the components start becoming rusty. Do a software check beforehand like others pointed out, but if that doesn't work I guarantee you it's because your hardware starts "wearing off". Good luck!

Rusty? :D I had speed issues too and I upgraded the RAM memory and the laptop gained new life, so try to check out if your computer supports more RAM and eventually go for it? Far cheaper than buying a new one. ;)

Hi there. I am not a very techie person and I don't really even get the details  of my PC which is an HP. I believe it was an HP Pavilion, All-in-One Desktop. I bought it almost a year ago and last week, it suddenly just went dead and wouldn't turn back on anymore. I didn't do anything, normally I just use it for work, that's all. I don't know what have caused the shutting down, and I think that it's already passed the warranty period. I don't know what to do. I want to take it to a technician but I want to have a brief understanding first of what could have happened why it went dead. Please help.

If your still using windows XP it could be a virus or malware. Windows XP stopped getting updates, so the firewall is unprotected. The reason for the slowdown is almost definitely a virus or malware. Most businesses still use windows XP which is a bad Idea. I had to get rid of this Operating system because of some of these same problems.

If your still using windows XP it could be a virus or malware. Windows XP stopped getting updates, so the firewall is unprotected.

Argh! You guys make my head hurt! :P It is most likely NOT a virus. Computer viruses are actually pretty rare. other types of malware sure, but I really doubt it would be a genuine virus. The firewall isn't the issue either. It is not hard to slap a third party firewall on there even if it was. Security updates are an issue but that doesn't have anything to do with whether you can use a firewall effectively.

Basically when the computer is running too many processes and the RAM memory cannot keep up the computer becomes slow.

Sure, virus can also make this, so we need to lookout both the situations. 

I have the same problem, I've an HP 625 laptop, I'm running windows 7 on it, the problem is it became too slow and it lags a lot ! maybe because I don't turn it off a lot. That's why I've been looking for a solution, some guys told me that I need to keep the system partition empty a little bit, also we have to remove the none necessary softwares from the startup menu in Msconfig, also we need to clear our registry, historiques and cach files.

there is couple softwares that  do that, I'm trying this solution if it works I'll let you know :)

That is why I never upgraded my operating system, I think that if I did it my computer would become too slow. I mean, if a computer was conceived to have a certain OS better leave it with it right?

Defragmentation is only recommended above 10%.  If it is below 10% nothing to worry about, it will not affect your computer performance.   I was facing issues while logging into my PC. It was taking a lot of time to setup my desktop.  But when I changed my desktop theme to classic mode it worked.  I also cleaned up unnecessary files from my desktop.  I think you should try disk cleanup too.  Sometimes it is very helpful. Hope your PC is already equipped with a good anti-virus.

You can also look for upgrading RAM as dantech already mentioned.

Defragmentation is only recommended above 10%.  If it is below 10% nothing to worry about, it will not affect your computer performance.   I was facing issues while logging into my PC. It was taking a lot of time to setup my desktop.  But when I changed my desktop theme to classic mode it worked.  I also cleaned up unnecessary files from my desktop.  I think you should try disk cleanup too.  Sometimes it is very helpful. Hope your PC is already equipped with a good anti-virus.

You can also look for upgrading RAM as dantech already mentioned.

Unless you are using a late 90's to 2005 era PC with equally old hard drives and Windows XP or lower that 10% rule is wrong. You don't need to do a manual defrag unless your drive is severely fragmented and you should never defrag an SSD.

Just today my work computer was like dying, super slow, when usually it's a fairly fast computer. Finally I got a message that I needed to restart to conclude the updates, so here we have another reason, it might be downloading or installing updates. 

That is why I never upgraded my operating system, I think that if I did it my computer would become too slow. I mean, if a computer was conceived to have a certain OS better leave it with it right?

Not at all. Sometimes a newer or even different OS is better alltogether than what came on your computer.