• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dantech

Why Linux is better OS in terms of services?

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, what's your thought about Linux and common services like WWW, DNS, SMTP,etc.. ? Why they are so tight together? I mean most of the servers (especially web servers) online are running Linux as host and I believe that the reason could be associated with the fact that it's really reliable and stable as OS and there are also a lot of pre made tools that are needed to  maintences works and stuff. What's your opinion?

From my standpoint, Linux server are easier to setup and maintain. They are less costly than Windows servers, and offer improved performance, particularly to run PHP, which is native to Linux and may degrade when run on a Windows platform.

Linux is easy to support and manage. LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) just works plain and simple. There isn't the cost or licensing issues involved with Windows. 

Linux is the way to go with web servers. A friend of mine is involved in that industry and they pretty much use Linux exclusively. While we can all vouch that Linux is a great and efficient OS, it won't replace Windows for the home and business markets. The other day I noticed my dentist was still using Windows XP when I was getting billed. Try telling him to upgrade Windows or shift to Linux, just not going to happen. 

Linux is better in terms of completion;why install everyday after your first installation? You are able to update all your software in a single click. Plus, there's not a big mess in your start menus. Linux is just better. 

I formated my PC, a couple days ago, and made a dual boot of Windows 8.1 and Lubuntu 15.1 (I think). Currently I'm using only Lubuntu and I'm very happy with the results! I'm still learning how to use it, because here you use a lot of console comands, it's not by clicking the files, mainly you use comands and I like it a lot. They make it a little more complex but simpler at the same time, once you get used to it you will love it!

Other thing is that my PC is a bit old (7 or 8 years old), nowadays a 7 years old laptop is almost trash, so Lubuntu runs way smoother than my Windows 8.1 copy! It's a must on my machine eheh

It's safer to store files in Linux than Windows. Windows can never compare to the amount of security Linux provides. It also has a community of awesome people who help patch and fix bugs quickly.

I always use Linux as my "server" when it comes to storing all my important files. :D

Edited by Starclove

I want to know if its possible to convert a PC that uses Windows into Linux?  I rarely see Linux OS using PC's being sold around my area.  From what I heard there are less viruses created for Linux. I am sure there are some harmful viruses that specifically target Linux but I had encountered too much viruses with Windows and experiencing less of it my be the good change I am looking for.

19 hours ago, SundayDrivah said:

I want to know if its possible to convert a PC that uses Windows into Linux?  I rarely see Linux OS using PC's being sold around my area.  From what I heard there are less viruses created for Linux. I am sure there are some harmful viruses that specifically target Linux but I had encountered too much viruses with Windows and experiencing less of it my be the good change I am looking for.

Linux is susceptible to malware and malware does exist for it. That said, the life of a virus or any other sort of malware is going to be very difficult on a properly configured system. The security issues with Linux are more of an exploit and hacking type nature and home users are not really targeted for these purposes.

You can install Linux on a PC with Windows by overwriting windows and wiping it out or you can partition and do a dual boot setup. There are multiple ways to accomplish this and some distributions will even copy over documents and photos etc... from your Windows partition for you. If you decide to install a Linux distribution back up all your files first and be prepared to use different software.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By kamix
      Hi, i'm facing quite annoying error after messing with Nvidia drivers on Debian. Basically, i wanted to install Nvidia drivers instead of Nouveau, but apparently my gpu isn't supported anymore and i needed legacy drivers. As i'm quite lazy sometimes, i thought that Nouveau actually will do But i got tired of nvidia's driver nagging about the dependencies and i used package manager to delete the first thing with "nvidia-driver" in its name. Then obviously everything stopped working as it should.
      After reboot i was left with only terminal. So i searched through modprobe.d catalog for a file, that might be blacklisting nouveau. I found something called almost literally "nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf". So there was a line about blacklisting nouveau and i removed it. Then i used update-initramfs -u . After reboot, the screen resolution was appropriate again, but during boot procedure, system started nagging about this "bad line".
      Fast forward a couple of hours - i installed the incompatible nvidia, so i could properly remove nvidia-related stuff once and for all with apt-get remove nvidia-* --purge and it fixed the problem with missing GUI, so GNOME was working again, as did Nouveau.
      But the annoying Modprobe: bad line 1617: 1 tokens found, 2 needed at the boot remained and i can't get rid off it. OS is running fine, it's just this one little thing that's getting on my nerves...
      Do you have any suggestions, guys? Sorry if it's too chaotic, but i'm little bit tired.
    • By Clone1143
      I wanted to make this post about Elementary simply because I'm total awe of this OS . It's now been 13 days since I installed Freya (first-time eOS install) and I can already say that it is as close to perfection as any OS's will ever get for me!! This of course is a purely subjective opinion and I don't expect it to be the same for other people. It's just that it's everything I want in an OS, there is nothing I feel I want to change other than maybe polishing the code to make it even more efficient and snappy. Anyone else on here tried eOS? What do you guys think of it?
    • By korusa
      I've used all the Windows Operating Systems. I've used several Linux Distros. I did some research to find what other alternative operating systems (non-Windows / Linux) were out there and this is what I found:

OpenGem Syllable Menuet OS Inferno Kolibri OS React OS Haiku Are there any I'm missing? I tried React OS and Haiku. React OS was okay and easy to use. For some reason, I couldn't get Haiku to really work well for me. 
    • By Seraphine
      Hello guys!  Well, the big day is here, but it seems is not all as wonderful as we thought it'd be.  Windows 10 was released just today,  it's supposed to be released in waves, so some users will get it later.  I was one of the lucky ones who can actually upgrade her OS to Windows 10 today!  Yeah, at first I thought: ''Awesome!'', but then after checking some social networking sites and checking several reviews and articles... well, I'm not so sure I will be upgrading to Windows 10 anytime soon.   

From what I read Windows 10 is plagued by a lot bugs!  I know the Microsoft guys have worked very hard to detect and fix many possible bugs, but apparently it hasn't been enough. A lot people complain about problems with their graphics cards, all thanks to those automatically installed drivers. Plus many other bugs and errors,  some people are even having issues installing this OS and  are get what I consider one of the most silly and useless  error messages ever:

It's crazy,  I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet   It seems this new OS is making people talk all around the world... and not in a good way at all. I hope the guys from Microsoft can fix it. I'll wait a while before installing Windows 10, I'm just too afraid I can no longer play my games or this OS screws my laptop in any other way.  What about you?  Have you upgraded to Windows 10 yet?  Experiencing any bugs? If you haven't upgraded yet... do you still plan to do so anytime soon despite all those alarming news? 
    • By Tanawan
      So, Nowadays, Are you satisfied with Windows? Would you change it?
    • By nytegeek
      I had forgotten just how annoying Windows Setup problems could be until I decided to Install Windows 8 into a virtual machine on Ubuntu today. I'm sick of dual booting for the few Windows applications I need that don't play well with Wine. I was trying to install it from my Windows Install DVD into Virtualbox and it kept failing at about 95% into copying files. I checked the DVD, no scratches or smudges. I finally gave up and decided to make an iso of the DVD and try to install from that instead. It worked perfectly! I made the iso from the terminal:
      sudo cat /dev/sr0 > /home/nytegeek/windows.iso It installed fast and without errors. So when in doubt try your install from an iso and you may save some headache!
    • By nytegeek
      Has anyone had a successful streamlined dual boot installation with Ubuntu of  prior to 12.04 and Windows 8.1 on a UEFI machine? i would be interested in what steps you used, whether you backed up your system first, and if it was successful.
    • By Diane Lane
      Do you have multiple devices with different operating systems? I know some people stick with one system, but others don't seem to mind switching between and among various operating systems, and do it with ease. I started off with Windows, but have been using Apple for years, and am learning Android now, so I wondered how many solely use one OS, and how many are happy to swap them out frequently. 
    • By MyDigitalpoint
      Just this morning came across with an interview that caught my eye because all of us know who the men behind Apple (Steve Jobs) and Microsoft (Bill Gates) are, but being honest, I ignored who is the man responsible for the Linux operating system, Linus Torvalds, so I thought to share with all of you this article:
      Full article and video interview win Linus Torvald can be found here, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-16/the-creator-of-linux-on-the-future-without-him
    • By AlexKid
      These days, with the rising popularity of indie and mobile gaming there also seems to be some interesting aesthetic directions. Due to the low-budgets and small teams, 2D games have returned with a vengeance. Particularly there has been a strong resurgence of 8-bit / 16-bit retro-style games capturing the visual and audio aesthetics of games developed on vintage systems. Quite common to find many games with pixel art graphics and chiptune background music, mimicking NES and Sega Genesis games. The recent indie hit - Shovel Knight is a perfect example of this. 
      What is your take on this, and do you enjoy these types of games?
    • By superbobby
      I am opening this thread to open the discussion on SteamOS. For those who don't know, SteamOS is a Linux-based operating system created by Valve which uses Debian7 as its foundation. SteamOS is a specialized operating system that is built and modified specifically for gaming.
      Personally I am excited about SteamOS. One of the disadvantages of Linux operating systems is that PC games aren't as accessible compared to other operating systems. SteamOS is going to change all of that. Valve owns the biggest platform for digital game distribution  which is Steam and from an economic perspective, Valve has the bargaining power to force game developers to write code that is compatible with SteamOS and other Linux based operating systems.This is big news and I am glad that Valve is headed to the direction of Linux based gaming.  Are you excited for SteamOS? Tell me your thoughts about SteamOS?
    • By rightct
      Ok, so today I tried to re-install my Windows since I found that it had some flaws within it, meaning that it wouldn't work like it used to at the very beginning, so I put my USB stick where I kept the Windows and did my thing, but something really bad happened there... First of all, I noticed that there were 5 continuous blinks coming from 2 keyboard buttons, and I'm not sure which... I disregarded that and went ahead, I thought it was nothing serious. But then when I tried to install the OS I noticed that the installer couldn't see my computer's hard drive where he would install the new OS... and at that moment I remembered my stick had been previously virused, but didn't really think it would be so agressive to the point of collapsing my hard drive... I don't even know what to do now.

Are there any workarounds for this problem, or need I buy another hard drive? Thanks.
    • By dantech
      As you Linuxers all know there are two kind of ways of installing a new software in Linux (we take Ubuntu/Debian as an example). Do you prefer to use APT or build them form sources? Personally, I prefer using APT when the matter is just to install and use the software without any prerogative but I prefer the sources when it come to personalize the installation process. What about you?
    • By dfarmer2001
      I have never personally heard of Linux before. So, I am a little curious on what it is and what it does exactly? I have heard quite a few good and some bad things about this Linux, so it would be really interesting to find out what exactly this is.
      I honestly do not know what else to post here, and questions to ask. After this question is answered I will more than likely have some additional questions about it.

Thank you!
    • By dantech
      Hi guys, what Linux shell (bash,dash,ksh,etc...) do you use most of time you have to work with the command line interpreter? I use the default bash but it's not rare to find me using also the ksh terminal (also known as korn shell). The latter one it's quite handy also because it's really leightweight and not "heavy" as bash and come on... bash is too mainstream :P! It's better using something different even for learn something new. What do you think?
    • By jayres
      I'm restoring an old PC of mine and wiping the hard drives clean with a fresh OS instal and thought I would give Linux a go for the first time. Its got an old i7, 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 and no GPU. I was wondering what the primary differences between the different distributions of Linux were at a fundamental level? I can imaging there are differences in UI and so on but is there any reason why you might pick one over another once user interface is put aside?
    • By Sebastián
      So, I was getting ready to replace my current Windows XP system (in a dual-boot machine with Lubuntu 14 installed) with a fresh copy of Windows 7, so that I would be able to locally install Office 365. But as I cannot upgrade my installation directly (because I never bought Vista), and I'd need to reinstall my apps and backup + restore my working files, I decided not to overwrite my Windows partition yet. 
      What I did do, instead, is fire up Lubuntu, make sure the free utility VirtualBox was installed, and use my Windows 7 CD to create a new virtual machine; this is, I effectively installed Windows 7 inside Linux. 
      What I found surprised me. Even when working inside the virtual machine under the host operating system, Windows 7 is as fast, if not faster than, my natively installed XP! Even with Outlook and a Web browser open! 
      I definitely recommend testing a new operating system this way. If you want more details about what I did, feel free to comment. 
      A word or caution, though: I haven't activated my Windows 7 from the virtual machine, because I think that doing that would mean my key would no longer be valid for activating the OS when I am finally ready to install it over the XP partition. I understand that the key can only be used once, and I will have to uninstall Windows from the virtual machine before performing the native installation. 
      Another word of caution: if you install Windows 7 in a dual-boot system, it will overwrite the boot manager and you won't be able to boot Linux anymore. But this can be solved by booting from the Lubuntu CD and downloading a boot repair tool. Such a procedure is too complex to outline here, but it's possible.
    • By damien
      I'm looking for a free SSL certificate for my server and some little info about installing it to Apache. I read that StartSSL does offer free ones (that basically just automatically check the ownership of the domain and an email address, good enough for me now) but does anyone else have another solutions? Or maybe not solutions but alternatives, unless StartSSL is good enough?
      Also how would I go about installing that to my Apache server? Is it an easy thing to do?
    • By OoTWISTERoO
      Hey all, I don't know how popular this website is, but it really provides info on why Linux is better, and also provides exceptions on why Windows might be better for you. This is the website: http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

So in case someone is wondering should they switch to/from Linux, you might wanna give them this website.
    • By Briggs
      ... Did it take you to become proficient at using Linux? I knew it would be a challenge. I was prepared for that. I didn't realize it was going to be THIS difficult. It feels like I'm learning to speak an entire new language, sometimes. Where did you have the most trouble? Any advice?