• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
mike_2021

What's the most important quality of a phone for you?

77 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I recently got a new android phone (moto g 2014) and as I was deciding what phone I wanted I noticed there are a lot of qualities that can make one phone (or tablet) more attractive than the other and not only the brand or the looks of it.

In my case I decided for the moto g because of the good price tag for the performance it has. Another quality important for me is the battery, I am able to charge my phone only once a day and use it a lot when out, so battery is a really important thing for me.

What is in you opinion the most important quality for a phone?

Congratulations on your new purchase, hopefully the Moto G will give you years of great service. Personally I don't look for many things in a phone, just good build quality and battery life. I can't stand it when a phone sucks up juice from the battery in a short space of time. I prefer that all my electronics run efficiently and that I can still get work done even battery levels start edging on the low-side.  Build quality is also important, sometimes I drop my phones and I prefer that they don't break easily. :D

One thing that is important to me is the battery life also. I have had phones where I would have to plug them in a couple times a day. It's annoying having to do that especially if you're out. If you're out then you have to try and find somewhere that you can plug it in. Then you have to worry about when you leave if you will have enough juice to last until you get back. I know that's something that I'm always thinking about when I'm out. The last thing that I want to do is lose all the charge in my phone and then not being able to talk to people that I need to. 

I'm a very heavy user and am often doing a ton of multi tasking on my phone so I need a quad core processor and a lot of RAM. I tend to do a lot of work and I can't stand a phone that lags for even a little bit. I nice camera is second most importantbecause I love to snap pics of my two little girls and the beautiful New Mexican sunsets.

Good battery life is a must for any phone. What is the point if you have to plug it in every time you have to use it. I am looking for at least 1 full day usage from a full charge.

I also choose a phone by its popularity. Because that will decide how long I will be getting updates either officially or unofficially. Less popular phones tend to get lesser updates in the long run.

• Battery Life.
  • Performance.
  • Updates (Prefer Stock)
  • Screen Quality

These are all things prioritize when I pick up a new smartphone. I prefer staying with the Nexus lineup due to stock Android.

I don't normally go for brands like Samsung or LG because they're heavily skinned.

When it comes to choosing a new device, I think a lot of people will all look at the main things first. Operating system, performance, battery life, screen, size and memory.

Anything else after that will be purely down to individual preference, like the colour or the material it's made of.

Mostly the CPU, ram, and screen resolution and size. I occasionally watch videos on my phone so a 1080p resolution is preferred, with a size of 4-5", but it's not a must. I also place great value on the amount of ram because multitasking on my phone is extremely important, I do it all the time, and I want to make sure I have the ram to support the amount of work I perform.

Oh yes, battery life is extremely important as well. If I'm going to buy a new phone I want to make sure it lasts at least 9 hours of constant use under heavy load.

Edited by XuR

I'm mostly looking for really good general performance. If some visually impressive games don't run exceptionally, that's ok, but I want buttery smooth performance when it comes to the main, actual "phone", features. Beside this I'm looking for a good screen resolution, but not too big of a screen; 4.5 inches are about a max for me as I don't have very big hands and I like to be able to use the phone comfortably with one hand. Another thing which interests me is battery life. 

For me, a good phone must have smooth and uninterrupted performance when you are multitasking or gaming, a 16MP camera for taking good quality photos and above all, a clear and sharp resolution to enjoy watching movies on. Of course, I consider the price of the phone too, if its less than $400, I would buy it in a hearbeat.

For me it has to be fast, good autonomy and cam, I love to take pictures with my phone. If it has these three features I consider myself a happy guy. Sure, cheap as well haha...

Congrats for your new phone, for me what I go for is mostly battery life and the screen size. I always don't like straining when playing my favorite games or reading/replying to messages. 

Hello everyone, I recently got a new android phone (moto g 2014) and as I was deciding what phone I wanted I noticed there are a lot of qualities that can make one phone (or tablet) more attractive than the other and not only the brand or the looks of it.

In my case I decided for the moto g because of the good price tag for the performance it has. Another quality important for me is the battery, I am able to charge my phone only once a day and use it a lot when out, so battery is a really important thing for me.

What is in you opinion the most important quality for a phone?

The best qualities of a phone for me are actually the basic features of the phone. These include a sending and receiving texts and making and receiving calls. Aside from that a however, if I am getting a smartphone I would want one that is very fast and so has over 1 gigahertz of processing speed. I want over 1 gigabyte of RAM and I wanted excellent camera that has over 15 megapixels.

For me, a good phone must have smooth and uninterrupted performance when you are multitasking or gaming, a 16MP camera for taking good quality photos and above all, a clear and sharp resolution to enjoy watching movies on. Of course, I consider the price of the phone too, if its less than $400, I would buy it in a hearbeat.

I agree with you. The best phones are those that come packed with  superb apps and processing qualities but at the same time is an affordable package.

• Battery Life.
  • Performance.
  • Updates (Prefer Stock)
  • Screen Quality

These are all things prioritize when I pick up a new smartphone. I prefer staying with the Nexus lineup due to stock Android.

I don't normally go for brands like Samsung or LG because they're heavily skinned.

I'm actually using a very excellent tablet right now. The only issue I have with it is that the battery is so poor. It doesn't make sense to have one of the best tablets in the world and yet it can't stay awake for an hour without shutting down. Right now it's actually plugged in charging while I'm using it and that's not a good thing. Battery life is top priority

Edited by zero
Fixed bad quotes.

The most important qualities to me when getting a new phone are: battery life, performance and build quality. The phone must be able to at least give me two years of quality service. I hate having a phone and having to charge it several times a day and I also hate having to replace a phone screen everytime that phone drops. 

Most important for me is size, performance and price. Not really worried about the exterior design as I'm probably going to put a case on it anyways. But size is important because I'm investing in a device that I'm going to bring everywhere with me, it's gotta feel comfortable to have wherever I go. Then I'll look at the performance specs and make sure that it can handle what I'll need it to do. Lastly if those two are all considered, I then look at the price. I will try to find the cheapest phone in that area of performance and size. That would be the phone I'd buy.

• Battery Life.
  • Performance.
  • Updates (Prefer Stock)
  • Screen Quality

I'm actually using a very excellent tablet right now. The only issue I have with it is that the battery is so poor. It doesn't make sense to have one of the best tablets in the world and yet it can't stay awake for an hour without shutting down. Right now it's actually plugged in charging while I'm using it and that's not a good thing. Battery life is top priority

What's the tablet? Having bad battery life definitely downgrades the enjoyment of using your tablet for long hours. Can you at least watch a 3 hour movie and be at 50% or will it just be 20% or so?

I cannot speak for my phone since this is a cheap one. But I admire the Samsung of my wife, first is the large screen, next is the ease in texing and third is the camera. The resolution of the Samsung's camera is great. My niece who has a newer Samsung than my wife's S3 has a better image and video resolution so I guess Samsung is trying to get into the phone camera for the movies genre.

Almost all smartphones now come with protective cases that also come with extra battery juice. Wireless phone charging is an option too now. (Heard of S6 and iPhone 6 protective cases yet?). Therefore, my main consideration is performance.

You want to stream a football match at the same time work on your balance sheet. Does it get slow? Does your balance sheet refuse to open while switching tabs? Well, it irritates me. I look for performance and memory capacity while selecting my smartphone. Just an individual preference of course!

I have to agree Battery Life is extremely important, things like the quality of the camera, and the performance of the phone whether it's laggy or anything like that. The input from the keyboard is quite important for me, for example in the samsung galaxy phones have a function which allows you to type without essentially removing your finger from the keyboard. 

Being on a budget right now, the most important quality to me is price and based on the price, I also want good quality out of the product. I will try to get the highest performance phone that's lightweight for the lowest price there is. Looks also play a role as when I'm scrolling through my options, I usually skip the ones unattractive or just overpriced in general.

The two biggest points to a phone for me are:

• Price
  • Quality

I refuse to pay $600-700 for a new iPhone when I know they are not worth that in the slightest. That's why I love Android, anyone can make an Android phone or tablet so it has competition which in turn gives us, the consumer better prices. Quality is also a very big selling point for me. I don't want to buy a phone only to have it's screen crack or some plastic part break. I want a durable, long lasting phone that could survive at least 4-5 years of use. Anything other than those points are icing on the cake!

The quality of a phone depends on the convenience of it in my opinion. I think a phone with long battery life is the best phone to have. If you have to constantly charge your battery, your phone won't do you much good when your out and about. The phone you have should come with great security features. For me security is the most important quality for a phone over all. You can't have a phone that can get hacked into easily.

I got the very same phone as a gift last year, @mike_2021   I thought it was awesome, it was my first smartphone ever!  What I liked the most was the quality of the pictures I can take with it (not much of a photographer anymore though).  My mom gave it to me for my birthday last year,normally she wouldn't give me something that expensive, but I guess she was trying to cheer me up (I got a really bad diagnosis last year) and got me that phone.

What I loved about that phone was the fact it was so easy to use!  No restrictions at all!  I could start transferring audio files from my laptop to the phone since day one, same with the pictures I had taken with the mobile. It's so intuitive, but all the credit goes to Android ;) 

I checked the price online, and it isn't a expensive phone; it's cheap, works fast and is easy to use.  I guess that is what I look for in a phone.  Plus the quality of the photos is not bad at all.

Good question. 

Last time, I bought my phone was last Christmas. I bought an iPhone 5S. What I wanted specifically then was an upgraded version of my previous iPhone 4S. Nothing else came to mind other than it should be a better iPhone 4S. My current phone lives up to my expectation almost every day, and as of yet, I haven't encountered any serious problem with it.

I suppose my criteria are kind of random: should be from Apple, good internet connectivity, speed, and battery.

There are a few things I would look out for if I were to buy a new smartphone:

• At least a dual-core processor
  • Good battery life - two days without charging if I'm not using it too much
  • Enough storage space (16 GB or more)
  • Newest android version or the option to upgrade
  • Bright, high resolution screen

I hope at least some phones will fit these requirements when I'm ready to buy a new phone!