• Announcements

• zero

Forum Updated   11/03/2015

We just updated the forums. Among other things, selective quote is now live. You can just select the text that you want, and a option to "quote this" will appear. During the update we also broke the main theme files for some reason.  I just activated the backup theme files and dumped the custom CSS in (I'll clean it up later). If there are any issues with the site, please get in touch with @nytegeek or myself.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danielledavidson

Hardcover book

11 posts in this topic

Whenever a new book comes out it will always come out in hard cover first. I'm assuming that it's because it costs more so that they author can make more money. That would seem like a sensible reason why they would make us purchase a more expensive book. I hate spending a lot of money on a book that I will only read once. That's why I try to buy them in soft cover. So, why do you think that the hardcover books come out first? 

I'm assuming that it's because it costs more so that they author can make more money. That would seem like a sensible reason why they would make us purchase a more expensive book.

That's what I think too. They probably want us to pay more. I don't know exactly how much more they will be making because even thought it comes in hard cover, the paper for the inner pages are of better quality as well. I have not bought any books in recent years since I got an iPad. Even though physical books aren't too expensive, I used to spend quite a bit on books. The main reason I stopped buying books is because I was running out of space.

These days the majority of mass market books are not released in hardcover.  Those that are are either books that need to last a long time or will be heavily used (textbooks etc), or as you say books that people will any more for if they ha e to (bestselling authors).

But these days many people who want the book but cannot afford the hardback will just pirate it rather than wait for the paperback--so simultaneous release of all formats (including ebook) has become increasingly common.

That's what I think too. They probably want us to pay more. I don't know exactly how much more they will be making because even thought it comes in hard cover, the paper for the inner pages are of better quality as well. I have not bought any books in recent years since I got an iPad. Even though physical books aren't too expensive, I used to spend quite a bit on books. The main reason I stopped buying books is because I was running out of space.

I mean that's the only thing that I can think of. Why else would they make some of their hardcover books $30, which is just crazy to me. I don't think that I will ever buy a book that costs that much. When I was younger and the Harry Potter books came out they were that much, but I was too young to realize that they were costing that much. Oh yeah, if you're buying the physical book it will cost a lot more than it would coming from your iPad. Which is a smart thing to do. Haha well that is a good reason. I have two large stacks of book in my room right now, both of books that I have read and have not. 

...both of books that I have read and have not. 

That made me laugh! I too have books that I have read and have not. I suppose if they make an additional $5 or $10 is a substantial amount considering normal books go for $10 each? Assuming they make $5 from normal books and if they made an additional $5 or $10 from hard cover, that' a good amount.

That made me laugh! I too have books that I have read and have not. I suppose if they make an additional $5 or $10 is a substantial amount considering normal books go for $10 each? Assuming they make $5 from normal books and if they made an additional $5 or $10 from hard cover, that' a good amount.

It makes it so much easier because then I'm able to just pick from a stack that I already have out. That is true, I mean I'm sure that the extra ten dollars is good for them. I mean I was just looking at a Stephen King book the other day and it was $30 and I was just like wow. I mean it's just so expensive. That's why I just try to get books from the library that I want to read sometimes. I mean if they are selling a lot then thats a good deal for them.

Hardcover books are more expensive then paperbacks and of course e-books.  Maybe this is why in the past I would seldom buy any unless I could get a good deal on one.  Even ten years ago or longer these were still around twenty dollars.  So, I would find some in thrift stores at times.  I worked in a public libray for awhile and checked out books there.  Then Amazon and Ebay came along which gave another method to find deals on books.  The best advice I can give when a book first comes out and its only in hardcover wait awhile it could come in a cheaper medium or there could be a deal on it online.  Although, going to a library to get it is also a good alternative as well.

Hardcover books are more expensive then paperbacks and of course e-books.  Maybe this is why in the past I would seldom buy any unless I could get a good deal on one.  Even ten years ago or longer these were still around twenty dollars.  So, I would find some in thrift stores at times.  I worked in a public libray for awhile and checked out books there.  Then Amazon and Ebay came along which gave another method to find deals on books.  The best advice I can give when a book first comes out and its only in hardcover wait awhile it could come in a cheaper medium or there could be a deal on it online.  Although, going to a library to get it is also a good alternative as well.

I have been using the library all summer to get the books that I want to read. I've really been into the Stephen King books, but I don't want to buy them. The reason being that I know I'll only read the book once. Then I just spent a ton of money on nothing basically. Plus his hardcover books are $30 which is even more. I do think that the library is the best place to go. 

I only buy hardcover books if its going to be a part of my collection. A lot of the softcover books that I have, have been donated or sold to second hand book shops. The hardcovers look better on a shelf as well. :D

I would not purchase a hardcover book unless it was something I was extremely interested in. They are just too expensive, and I have too many books as it is. I am hoping to move within the next several months and having boxes of books to move doesn;t thrill me. I love books but buying hardcover books is just not wise in my situation at this point in my life. I am reading one now, but it is a library book.

Yes! Books are expensive-especialy when you have children!!LOL! I have a huge bookcase full and 3 big bins-guess i'll save them and see how much they sell for in a few more years! Wonder what they may go for when soft and hard covers are no longer available???I guess book collectors will be on look out:)They do take up space-but to interactively hold an actual book versus a tablet has more value in the old sense.When children begin to read-it is best that they get a 'feel' and turn pages-and visually see and feel the pop outs. However,new technology fits in where humanity is going-cold and rushed:)