In our previous posts, it has been emphasized that Facebook is the leading social media platform in terms of the number of monthly active users and revenue. Majority of the people in the internet prefer Facebook than other social media for their personal or business use. Aside from being free, Facebook offers a lot of options for promoting one’s brand or business and one of them is having a Facebook page.
Why create a Facebook page?
As if the answer isn’t obvious enough, here are some of the reasons why creating a Facebook page is beneficial:
- Less personal, more professional – It is important to maintain a close and personal relationship with your clients and potential clients, but to a certain extent. There are some who prefer to “like” your business Facebook page instead of adding you as a friend to keep the relationship at a professional level. Mixing your personal and professional life is a big no-no. For example, posting pictures from last night’s karaoke session may be okay for your friends to see, but may not be suitable for a potential client.
- Unlimited audience – Facebook allows you to have a maximum of 5,000 friends, but they never set a limit for the number of people who can like and follow your Facebook page. This means you can reach a wider audience. When someone likes your page, that activity will show up on his/her friends’ timeline, thus increasing your page’s exposure.
- Facebook insight tools – This is an indicator tool that determines which of your posts are popular. This can help you assess what most of your fans are interested in so you can leverage on that in making ads, campaigns or promotions.
- Perfect place to announce events and promotions – Facebook page lets you create events and invite your friends – ribbon-cutting for a newly opened branch, perhaps, or an exhibit, bazaar or holiday sale. You can track the number of possible attendees with the “Yes,” “No,” or “Maybe” options that your fans can choose from. Fans will also get a notification on the day of the event.
- Most importantly, build your brand – A well-crafted Facebook page will help increase your social media presence that may lead to higher search engine ranking.
How can I create a Facebook page?
Here is a step-by-step guide in setting up a Facebook page with illustrations:
Step 1: First of all, log in to Facebook using your personal profile. You may not want to use your personal profile, but I strongly recommend otherwise due to the limitations that you’ll encounter if you create a business-only Facebook page. You don’t have worry because even if you’re using one account to log in, your personal profile and Facebook page will be treated as two different accounts. Your personal information will be hidden from your page, as well as the name of the administrator.
Step 2: Click on the “Create Page” link on the left side panel of your news feeds, as shown below:
Step 3: You will, then, be taken to a page where you can choose the type of Facebook page you want to create. The choices are:
- Local Business or Place
- Company, Organization or Institution
- Brand or Product
- Artist, Band or Public Figure
- Cause or Community
Step 4: Choose the subcategory from the drop-down menu of your chosen category and name your page. Naming your page should be easy if you already established a clear brand name. If you’re just starting out and haven’t decided on a name, yet, don’t be too pressured. It’s not like you’re naming your new born child. You can request for a name change in the future, once you get at least 200 likes/fans.
By clicking Get Started, you agree to the Facebook Pages Terms.
Step 5: Now, it’s time to set up your Facebook page starting with adding a description. You are given 155 characters to describe what your page is about. Be as descriptive and creative as possible, catchy is better. You can also add your website URL below the description box. You will also need to create a Facebook URL. Ideally, you can use the name of your brand so it would be easier for people to find your page.
Step 6: Next, you will be asked to upload a profile picture. You can choose your company or brand logo so that your fans can be familiar with it and it will be easy for people to recognize you. Afterwards, Facebook will prompt you to add your page to your Favorites list so you can easily access it anytime.
Step 7: The next step is choosing your preferred audience according to location, age, gender and interest. This step is helpful for generating leads for potential customers. Facebook can also help you browse for suggestions. Then click Save.
Step 8: By now, you should be able to view your Facebook page. Facebook will give you a brief tour around your page to familiarize yourself with the different tabs and options. It will also prompt you to like your own page, but you can choose to skip that.
Step 9: The next step is adding life and colour to your Facebook page. Start off by adding a good cover photo. A good cover photo is something that tells the story behind your brand. Some good ideas may be a picture of your customers enjoying your product or your company motto.
Step 10: Before inviting people to like your page, I recommend that you fill up your timeline with many status updates to let people know what they can look forward to on your Facebook page.
Step 11: Elaborate your page description by updating your Page Info under About tab. This is your chance to highlight all the good things about your brand. Input as many relevant information as necessary.
Step 12: If you’re happy about the changes and the appearance of your Facebook page, go ahead and invite people and make your momma proud!