Gone are the days when search engine optimization is based mainly on meta tags and descriptions. If you still don’t have a designated Twitter account for your business or a Google+ or Facebook fan page, then you’re missing out on the opportunity of having higher search engine rankings. Nowadays, search engines such as Google determine how to weigh our social interaction and behaviour using social media presence as the ranking factor.
In our last article we covered how to use social media to promote your business. In this article we will explore how you can build a strong social media presence like a pro. A strong social media presence is an important aspect in promoting your business. Here are few of its benefits:
- By having a strong social media presence, you can listen to what your customers have to say about your brand. This gives you a better idea on what your customers like most about your product and what you need to improve on.
- The most effective way of leveraging your product and creating brand awareness is by maintaining a strong social media presence.
- Generating leads and developing loyal followers has been proven to be one of the benefits of having a strong social media presence, according to studies. Studies show that people are likely to buy products from a company with an active Facebook fan page over those without. Hence, a strong presence in social media sites is also a great way to increase your company trustworthiness.
- As mentioned earlier, social media presence has become a determining factor in search engine rankings. Therefore, maintaining a strong presence in social media platforms will help boost your online traffic and secure your spot in search engine rankings.
As a business owner, it’s about time to join in on the action and embrace the power of social media in growing your business. Here are 5 guaranteed ways on how to build a strong social media presence:
1. Create an optimized social media profile.
Optimizing your social media presence depends greatly on how you write your profile. Optimize your social media presence by following these 3 simple tips:
- Make sure that your social media bios and profiles are complete with all the necessary information about your brand or business. A brief and catchy business description can do the trick paired with a good company logo and website URL.
- Include appropriate keywords on all your social media updates.
- Use hashtags often, but use them carefully. Nothing is more annoying than a Facebook post with 20 unrelated hashtags. You don’t need to put a hashtag on every single word on your update.
2. Use every opportunity you get to promote your social media site.
The great thing about social media is that it allows people to like or follow a page in just one click through the social media icons. Utilizing social media icons is a more subtle way of promoting your site. Use them in every opportunity you get such as on your emails, your blogs, your website, etc.
3. Engage with your followers by sharing valuable contents.
Getting people to follow you is one thing, but making them stay as followers is an entirely different story. Which is why you need to make sure that your social media site is worth following. When posting contents, always consider the benefits that it has to do with your followers. Too much product-focused contents can be uninteresting and sometimes annoying to your followers. Focus, instead, on educational and useful contents that would make your followers want to share them, as well. This creates another opportunity for you to reach a broader audience and gaining new followers.
4. Talk to your fans and followers.
Let them know that you are human – interaction is the key! Avoid being too corporate. Instead, let your audience see a more personal and softer side of you. When your fans or followers ask you questions or comment on your posts, grab that opportunity to interact and connect with them. Maintain a fun atmosphere by asking them questions and participating in discussions. Make them feel that you are human and not just some money-making machine.
5. Give your audience a reason for liking or following your page.
Aside from gaining valuable and useful contents from your page, your followers (especially the new ones) are expecting some sort of freebies as a way to thank them for following you. You may consider offering exclusive promotions that are available only to people who ‘like’ your page such as discount codes or a free eBook.
There is no doubt that social media has become an integral part in promoting one’s business. But, what good is having a number of social media sites if the people are not aware of your existence? Though the results may not be quantitative, you will be surprised by the bigger outcomes that social media presence can give to your business.