Google AdSense is one of the ways to monetize your blog or website. Using Google AdSense one can place advertisement banners on their website and choose the kind of advertisements that will be published by Google. Creating the account is not so simple as we have to follow a ton of rules and guidelines issued by Google, sometimes creating account may even take months. This article would give you a clear insight about Google’s guidelines to getting an approved AdSense account.
Things that are very much essential for getting the approved AdSense account are:
- Contact name. The complete full name should be given while creating the AdSense account; applications with incomplete names will be rejected.
- For the business accounts, organization name must be given in the payee name and the name of the person managing the website must be given in the Contact name field.
- Proper mailing address has to be provided, as this address will be verified in later stages for making payments, as Google will send postal mail with a verification PIN so that to verify the AdSense account and payment method.
- Correct email address has to be provided; this email address will be used to login and other communication from Google including email verification message.
Apart from the above mentioned mandatory information, one has to also take care of the following things in order to get approval, they are:
- Availability – The website or blog must be launched, if the website is still under construction it will obviously not be approved.
- Content – The website/blog should contain enough content and this content will be evaluated before approval. There should not be broken links and pages that don’t load completely. Apart from this there are other content guidelines that has to be take care of, some of them are listed bellow,
- Publishers must follow the content guidelines from the Google and any violation of it may result in deactivation of the account.
- Placing the AdSense code on the webpages that include adult content, violent or racial content are unacceptable.
- AdSense advertisements should not be used for pages that contain copyrighted content unless you have the required legal rights to display the content. This includes text and images.
- AdSense cannot be used on websites that promote or sell alcohol or tobacco, weapons or websites selling replica products.
- Ownership – the registered user should own the Website and the owner should have access to edit the HTML source code in order to place the AdSense code. In locations like India and China the website must be owned by the owner for a period of at least 6 months before getting AdSense approval.
- Unsupported Language – AdSense is not available in all languages. If the language of the website is not supported by AdSense then the application will not get approved. The complete list of supported languages can be found through the following link https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/9727
- Ad Placement – The advertisements have to be placed appropriately without harming the advertisers, and they should not be placed in inappropriate places like emails, pop-up windows, software etc.
- Website design – Sites applying for Google AdSense have be to look professional and offer a great user experience with clear navigation.
Google has rights to change its Terms and Conditions at any point of time and it’s the responsibility of the AdSense user to check the updates regularly and not violate any policies at any point of time. AdSense accounts can be disabled when the publisher tries to artificially generate the clicks and hence its not permitted to do the following things that generate artificial clicks on the advertisements:
- Should not attract users by providing monetary benefits for viewing ads or performing searches in their websites.
- Websites should not make or trick users to click on advertisements by using the following phrases “click the ads”, “support us”, “visit these links” etc.
- The use of graphical gimmicks in order to gain the attention of users is not permitted.
- Placing advertisements in a floating box script is not permitted.
- Placing misleading labels above Google ad units is not permitted. For example, advertisements can be labeled “Sponsored Links” or “Advertisements”, but not “Favorite Sites” or “Today\’s Top Offers”.
Apart from the above-mentioned guidelines they also have limitations on the number of advertisements that can be displayed. While using AdSense for content, we can only place three AdSense advertisement units on each page and only one of the units can exceed the size of 300×600.
While using Google AdSense for search, we can place up to two AdSense search boxes per page and a single link unit or image advertisements can be placed on the page of AdSense search results.
AdSense also has a different set of guidelines for advertising on gambling sites or gambling related content. It is country specific and the publishers should be in the list of countries that Google has mentioned. At the time of this writing countries that are allowed are as follows:
- United Kingdom
When Setuix Solutions re-branded the website, we applied for Google AdSense the first week and of course we were rejected for whatever reasons. Rejection emails are pretty vague so we didn’t really give much attention to it. We however did some research and found that the following were indeed some requirements to be approved by Google AdSense:
- Contact Us – http://setuix.com/contact/
- About Us – http://setuix.com/about/
We also found out that Technology blogs were not deliberately not being approved by Google because of over saturation. However, after apply almost every week, we finally got approved by Google after 5 months and 70 posts.
If there was one advice that we could you readers after you have fulfilled the criterias above, it would be, do not give up. Keep applying until you get it. While you are waiting to get approved by Google AdSense, do check out this list of Google AdSense alternatives.