S-Off means Security Off, and that is exactly what you need if you want absolute control over your HTC device. After unlocking your bootloader, flashing a custom recovery and successfully rooting your device, if you want to hack your device even further, then you would need S-Off.
Why S-Off? It is only when security is off on your HTC device that you can be able to overwrite hardware-write protections. This means with S-Off, you can change your AT&T HTC One M8 into a T-Mobile version or any other version of your choice! This simply helps you to bypass regional restrictions on OTA (over the air) updates: if international versions get updates before carrier versions or vice versa, and waiting for updates happens not to be your thing, then this is a guide for you.
- USB Debugging Enabled (Click here to get that done)
- At least 70% phone battery
- Internet connection i.e. 3G, 4G, WiFi
This method has been discontinued unfortunately by the developers. This was a free method and would have required some few fastboot codes to execute, after unlocking bootloader, flashing a custom recovery and gaining root access.
The developers however replaced Firewater with Sunshine! This method is to save users from all the hardwork and time required to get S-Off. However, the developers decided to make it a paid app. Their reasons are clearly stated on their site. This method is as simple as installing any android app not found on Google Play.
- Head over to the Sunshine Site.
- Download the app onto your pc and copy onto your phone. You can also visit the site from your device browser and download it directly onto your device
- Install it and follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure you have a working internet.
- Follow the steps to purchase your license. Remember, you cannot get this app for free, neither can you use it on multiple devices after purchase.
- Allow the app to ran and smile!
Feel free to leave any comments for further assistance.