Bricking is now quite common in this world of smartphone OS customization – and Android in particular. People flashing ROMs and moding it with custom kernels and tweaks. If you’ve bricked your device, we understand your trauma – but it’s time to go back to your cool self and fix your bricked Galaxy S4, because you’ve come to the right place. Read on to find out how to unbrick your Galaxy S4 I9500 and I9505.
Is your S4 Unbrickable?
The chances are pretty much 50/50 here. You either rescue your Galaxy S4 and safely revert back to normal, or you mess up even more and push it further into the useless condition it’s already in.
But if your Galaxy S4 boots into download mode successfully, then there’s no need to worry. You can check by turning your phone off (though it’d already be off) and pressing Volume down + Home button + Power button. You should see an Android robot and some text saying Do not turn off target!!. You can take the battery out after you’ve confirmed this.
You are going to have to flash stock firmware on your Galaxy S4 so it goes back to the way it was. It is like a full factory reset. You cannot however, flash a custom ROM on it or make changes to the firmware since you can only make firmware updates with the download mode. If you can’t boot into Download mode – then the Setuix team sends our condolences. You’re going to have to give your S4 up since there’s no other fix.
Preparations and Important info
- Make sure your have the USB data cable that came with your Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505
- Charge your S4 to at least 85% – though you may not be able to see if it’s charging, just charge it for 15-20 minutes in such cases.
- Make sure you have all the required drivers install on your computer to support your Galaxy S4 (drivers available via KIES)
- Enable USB debugging mode (optional).
- You will lose root access, your custom recovery and all other odifications after installing this firmware on your Galaxy S4.
- Don’t go through with this guide if you have any other S4 variants besides S4 I9500 and I9505 – this will not work on any other variants.
- After making all the preparations required, make all the downloads listed below.
Steps to Unbrick Galaxy S4 I9500/I9505
- After you’ve downloaded the appropriate firmware zip file for your Galaxy S4 variant to your computer, extract the zip file and you’ll find a Home.tar file – move it to your desktop.
- Boot your Galaxy S4 into download mode by pressing Volume down + Home button + Power button and open Odin on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to the computer via the USB data cable and the ID:COM section in Odin should turn blue and a bunch of numbers should appear – this confirms that Odin has recognized your S4.
- Now click on PDA and choose the Home.tar file that you moved to the desktop.
- Now tick-mark Auto Reboot and F.Reset and make sure that you DO NOT have Re-Partitioned checked.
- Double check everything just to be safe and then click the Start button.
A blue bar will now appear on the screen of your Galaxy S4, wait till this bar completes. You will then get a green pass message – this means that you have successfully unbricked your galaxy S4. It will now reboot. The start-up Samsung screen might take a while to boot, but this is normal so don’t panic.